Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October 4-10, 2011: A Mighty Change...Finally

My family amazes me. I love you all!

Please let Grandpa Roger know that I pray for him daily. He is loved and well appreciated down here in Phoenix.

I can't believe Madison got in Lake Fiesta. That is disgusting! I went one time and played some football and I think I was really lucky that I didn't get some major infection. haha. I can't believe how grown up everybody is getting. Those pictures are amazing! When I pulled them up I may have said something under my breath to the effect of, "dang my sisters are grown up..." Little did I know that there were two other missionaries behind me who saw what I was looking at and they responded, "Yeah they are!!" Creeps... haha.

Dad I really appreciate the update and your experience this past week. Thanks for being such an example for me.

This week has been a great week. My eyes have been opened to the reality of the power of the Book of Mormon, atonement, and gospel of Jesus Christ. The power they have to change lives is incredible.

I don't know if you recall me talking about a man I taught in the Country Gables ward by the name of Tom. He was baptized a week after I left that area. He had struggled for years with many of the commandments we teach that the rest of the world doesn't seem to have much of a grasp on. I get the impression that the only reason he was getting baptized was because he wanted to be a good example for his son, but didn't want to make the change in his own life. He "said" he was good with all the commandments, passed his baptismal interview, and went through with the baptism. It was a great event! Still, I felt in the back of my mind that something wasn't right. He was coming to church, saying that he was reading his scriptures (even though I'm pretty sure he wasn't because he knew very little if anything about the doctrine), saying prayers but not taking it too seriously, etc. On the outside it looked like he was doing the right things. But the feeling just wasn't there when we were around him. Because I was one of the missionaries to originally teach him, he grew to like spending his time with me and would call frequently to have a lesson or grab a bite to eat. He was still his same profane, perverted self and I didn't like to be around him. It didn't feel like he had a "change of heart" at all like the scriptures tell us. Months passed. We were pretty sure Tom was still back in his old ways. One night while Tom was watching some of his friends’ kids, the cops showed up at the door. Now I don't know the whole story, but I think I know the gist. No one knows exactly why the cops showed up at his door but regardless, they did. I have heard that Tom had had a few drinks that night and may have acted irrationally by pulling out his pistol he carries with him just in case it was someone else at the door that he would need to protect himself from. When the cops saw the gun, they too went too far and long story short, Tom was lucky to have not received a 9mm bullet wound to the heart. He was hauled off to Lower Buckeye Jail. There he witnessed some of the most brutal, demonic, disgusting things. He said that for the first time in his life he needed to change. He wrote to Salt Lake and asked for some scriptures. They sent him all that they could. Over the next 2-3 months he read the triple combination, twice. He said that while in jail, he was offered many of the substances he was addicted to before but would not give in. He would find himself on his knees praying like crazy many times during the day. Other people in there would mock him and scourge him for being so religious but when it came to the guards, they wanted nothing to do with him. Tom began to teach other cell mates what he had. He wrote to Salt Lake again and they sent more books for the other guys he was teaching. He taught them from the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and the New Testament. His knowledge of the scriptures grew substantially. While he would teach, the guards would come up to him and try to take away whatever they were studying but when he would stand up, he would hold the Book of Mormon out in front of him almost touching the guards’ chest with the cover. When they saw what it was, they literally began to cower and would nearly fall to the floor at the sight. Tom gets goosebumps everytime he tells this story because his testimony of the literal power of the Book of Mormon is so true. The guards wouldn't mess with him. He became the spiritual giant and light for the cell mates during such a time of physical and spiritual darkness. His reputation spread throughout the jail. Many times he thought he was going to be killed by another cell mate. He said he didn't care, because he knew where he was going. He stood firm in the face of affliction. After 3 months, his case was finally reviewed. It turned out that the one of the cops that arrested him, had accidentally left on the mini camera that was on his vest, and it proved him to be innocent. The cops overreacted like crazy. That's all I've heard since. We had several lessons with Tom this last week. He wanted to tell me of his experience. I was in shock. He is a different man with a different spirit. He cut his foot and a half long hair, isn't too vulgar, no more perverted comments, and loves and lives the Book of Mormon. I was amazed at how detailed his descriptions of the stories in the Book of Mormon were. He talked about the Brother of Jared and the barges he built, Nephi and his brothers cowering as the Lord commanded him to stretch forth his hand and shock them. That story reminded him of his experience with the guards in jail. I was nearly brought to tears as I witnessed the change in him. He was one person that I honestly thought would NEVER change in such a way. I'm glad that I was proven wrong. I asked Tom the question, "How has this experience helped you gain a testimony of the power of the Book of Mormon?" and "Do you feel that this experience was needed to help you?" He answered that there is no possible way that the Book of Mormon isn't true, and yes he does believe it was necessary to give him the spiritual kick in the pants to help him change.

I think that often times we are given such adverse conditions to help us realize the power and benefits of the gospel. I'm grateful for trials and the testimony and satisfaction that comes from overcoming them. Just as President Packer said many years ago, we really have no need to fear in this life because of all the knowledge we have. It's such a short time in Father's eyes.

I am addicted to the talk by Elder Holland. I love his forceful way to get his point across to the young men AND women preparing to serve missions. I'm grateful for sisters who are such great examples to me for realizing the fact that "We are at war" and that we "cannot play for the adversary whenever temptation comes along and then expect to suit up for the Savior at temple and mission time as if nothing has happened. That... [we] cannot do. God will not be mocked." Leah, I'm so impressed. Not surprised at all, but impressed. Thanks for your example. Madison, thanks for your dedication, persistence, and work ethic. I wish there were more missionaries like you. Bailee, you are so good at magnifying your talents. Remember the scripture to always magnify your talents and go to the Lord with gratitude for them. As you do, He will trust you and give you more that will bless the lives of those around you. Your friends need you and your example for good will not go unnoticed! I promise you that! Hallie, you have always been the hilarious, fun, always get your way by repeating "I'wan'sombody'to'hol'me" over and over again. You have such an ability to make people laugh and smile. Keep that trait! Optimism, happiness, and smiles are contagious. Mom, thanks for being my mom. You remind me of the mothers of the stripling warriors who "could not doubt their mothers knew it." I know it's cliche but seriously thanks for everything. I love and appreciate you more than you can imagine. Dad, thanks for your spiritual power and determination. I have yet to find someone to put themselves through more adverse conditions (Wasatch 100) because they know that the blessings and satisfaction in the end will outweigh what happened during the journey. I brag quite often about my dad and what he does. That goes for my entire family though. I have a photo album of all my family pictures in our apartment and it is being shown quite frequently to those who stay there. That is because I love you all and am so thankful for who you are. You help me to keep pushin' on when things are tough!

I am well, even though I am now on antibiotics because of some random, scary, lumps that are in my armpit of the same shoulder I had surgery. They are quite painful but I think they will be gone in a few days. I hope at least! My shoulder is great. We are actually playing softball today for a zone activity. I don't think I will swing...hard :) but everything else is perfectly fine.

I love you all so much! Thanks for all you do.

Love,

Elder Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment