Hola familia!
It's always so good to hear from you. I can't believe all those who are returning home from missions. It's a weird feeling. I'm glad things are going well there!
This week has been pretty good. This past transfer has been a huge learning experience for me. Through the ups and downs I have learned a lot more about me; how I deal with them, how I prioritize, what to focus on, what to look forward to, etc. We learn in Doctrine and Covenants 18 that the worth of souls is great in the sight of God and that our joy will be great if we save but one soul in the kingdom of heaven. Of course we know that that "one soul" is ourselves, and once we've "saved" ourselves we can be used to save others. I believe that this last transfer has helped me to re-group and remember all that the Lord has done for me. Through the ups and downs, the Lord has helped me and saved me. These next two transfers are going to be "phenomenal!"
Last Thursday we had our district meeting. I was pondering a lot about what to focus on in the meeting. Early in the week when I was going over the numbers I compiled a list of questions that I was going to ask to the district to see where we are at and how to get on track. There are two missionaries in the district who love to pick and choose what to be obedient with. It's frustrating at times. While compiling these questions, I got all frustrated and was ready to CHASTISE at the meeting. I was ready to talk about the specific things that I had seen that were disobedient. They weren't big, but disobedience is still disobedience. The day of the meeting I had an impression to start off by raising the simple question of, "Why are you on a mission?" I gave each missionary a chance to stand up and bear their testimony regarding that question. The spirit came in very strong. By the time each missionary had a chance, the spirit was telling me a different route to go about the meeting. Instead of "reproving with sharpness" as stated in D&C 121, it became a meeting ran by love and desire to be better and do what’s right. I asked questions of, "How are we spending the Lord's time? Is it being spent with our own personal needs? Or His needs?" I shared a brief experience with them: Often times in this past transfer I have wondered why we haven't been finding those who are ready and willing to make changes in their lives. Questions like, 'Why wouldn't the Lord place them in our path? Are we not worthy? Are we not following the spirit? etc.' It was very hard for me to accept. Then a thought came into my mind, "Remember Zion's Camp." As I recalled the experience of Zion's Camp I remembered that what actually occurred on the camp wasn't what the men had first anticipated. They were thinking they would be fighting and defending the people. But the Lord had a different plan. His plan was of greater importance. My questions of why, why, why, turned to questions of 'what would You have me learn Lord?' We know that the Lord chose His leaders, who went on the lead the church, from those who endured Zion's Camp. What would He have me learn? There has been a greater purpose to the lack of work and success over the past few weeks and I finally have found that the Lord wasn't punishing, but shaping me. The work will always progress in one way or another, often times it's not in the way we perceive. By the end of the discussion, we turned to Alma 24:12-18 (the story of the Anti-Nephi-Lehies). We read through those verses about how they sacrificed and covenanted with the Lord to be better. I asked the missionaries, "What more can we sacrifice?" We then went around the room and each stated one thing that we would sacrifice to become more obedient, consecrated missionaries. It's been awesome to see the progression.
We have been making many visits to less active members over the past few weeks. We hope to save those who are lost and to find those who may not already be members. In my experience, I have noticed that many people become offended because of an experience they had with another member, a mere human being. My key learning from this experience is that people can have a testimony in either the people, or the gospel. Having a testimony in the people is having a testimony in something imperfect, and Satan can easily weave his way in to cause that testimony to shake. Offense, doubts, and blame become the excuses of leaving the church. Having a testimony of the gospel is having a testimony in something perfect. We often times tell people we meet who become offended that the church and the gospel are perfect, and the people are far from it. What are we going to have our testimonies rooted in? I read a talk this morning while taking a missionary to a counselor. President Monson made this comment; "Increasingly, some celebrities and others who...are in the public eye have a tendency to ridicule religion in general and, at times, the church in particular. If our testimonies are not firmly enough rooted, such criticisms can cause us to doubt our own beliefs or to waver in our resolves."
Last night was an awesome experience for me. We had our FHE activity. Our ward invited many of the surrounding YSA wards to learn how to Salsa dance by some professionals. Of course we didn't participate. When I walked in the door of the building, I noticed a familiar face in the foyer. It was Mark Coleman. I can't tell you how good I felt to see him! He spoke in stake priesthood meeting and was also sustained to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood. Yes, it's only been three months. He will probably have a leadership calling in the not too distant future. He is the man. While talking with him, a whole slew of members from the Phoenix North YSA rushed in the doors and all I heard was, "MOURITSEN!! MOURITSEN!! Where have you been?!" It was so good to see some familiar faces. We chatted the rest of the evening. We had one investigator come to the activity and I think that he enjoyed himself. His name is Kolt. It's weird to teach him and call him my own name... haha
Last night we had a long chat with all the missionaries in the apartment. We called it an "apartment companionship inventory." The other companionship has not been getting along. I shared an insight that you (dad) taught me as a child that I think I have shared with you before in my emails. I took it a step further though. The insight is to always have something to look forward to. In my youth, we always had either a vacation, a holiday, or a fun family party to look forward to. The excitement and anticipation helped to get through the work or school in between. As missionaries, we too need to have things to look forward to on daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly levels. If we don't, we will be miserable. I've noticed that I can easily tell where my heart is at by seeing what I am looking forward to. If I look forward to P-day, my heart is not in the right place. But If I look forward to teaching certain lessons, finding people to teach, and helping people come unto Christ, then I'm happy and feel worthy of the spirit. This exercise of finding what you look forward to is easy to see where your heart is truly at. I'm looking forward to baptizing people in the next coming months. I'm looking forward to teaching them and watching their faith grow. I'm looking forward to being an instrument in the Lord's hand to answer the prayer of someone in need. I'm looking forward to learning as adverse conditions and hardships come. It's a great day to be a missionary and I look forward to every minute of it!
I love you all and hope you are having a great week. One of the missionaries in our apartment is getting transferred...very good thing. We are excited with the work that is coming.
Thank you for the letters. I will try to get to writing to you asap. We got permission to play some baseball on a field near our church today... The field is immaculate. Also, I don't think I've told you but the Padres and the Mariner's play their spring training games right here in my area. I tried to get permission to go but it was a no go. Haha We will definitely come down next spring! :)
Love,
Elder Colt Mouritsen




No comments:
Post a Comment