Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Monday, May 7, 2012

May 1 - 7, 2012: The Arizona Phoenix Mission has become my own personal Sacred Grove.


Hello!

Wow so much in just one email. I got a little teary eyed when I read "your last letter as a missionary." That's awesome that you and Madi both got to bear testimony yesterday. I did the same. I told the congregation that it's a hard realization to come to when it’s your last opportunity as a missionary to bear your testimony (on fast Sunday). It was a very emotional meeting. Madi, I feel your pain when it comes to doing all that you can and then not making it in the end. We have been doing all in our power to get people to church and baptized and in the end, something happens and the goal isn't met. Often times, it's hard to accept, but it is necessary for one to be able to strengthen their testimony and go from good, to better, to best and to realize that it's in the Lord's hands and He has a plan. That is another one of my "absolutes," the Lord's hands are in the details. I promise you that He does. Your example is powerful to me. Thanks.

I had the opportunity to teach gospel principles class in each ward yesterday. It was a great experience. The topic was "The Church of Jesus Christ today." For an outline, I used a timeline that showed important dates in history that lead up to the gospel being restored. Some of the dates were: 30 a.d., 33, 96, 101, 320, 1200, 1300, 1492, 1515, 1620, 1776, 1785, 1805, 1820, 1830.
  • ·         Year 30-33 was the Savior's earthly ministry which was capped by His crucifixion & resurrection.
  • ·         Roughly year 96 was when John (the last apostle) was exiled to the island of Patmos.
  • ·         Around year 101 the apostasy was complete, leaving no more men on earth who held the Priesthood to receive revelation regarding the church.
  • ·         Year 320 was the first Nicene Council, where men gathered together and voted on what would be the basic doctrines of the church. This is when the idea of the trinity was born and the reign of the popes began.
  • ·         Year 1200, the advent of the printing press which allowed common folk to have an opportunity to read the bible for themselves and seek answers for themselves (necessary for the reformation and restoration).
  • ·         1300, renaissance in Europe begins.
  • ·         1492, Columbus sails the ocean blue and a nation is found.
  • ·         1515, many reformers including Martin Luther, John Calvin, John Knox, and even King Henry IIIV break off from mainstream teachings and start their own faiths.
  • ·         1620, pilgrims come to America, nation is born.
  • ·         1776, Declaration of Independence and revolutionary ward, which if anyone does a study of will find that it was a miracle that we won.
  • ·         1785, Constitution (Freedom of Religion).
  • ·         1805, Joseph Smith born.
  • ·         1820, first vision.
  • ·         1830, church organized.


It's amazing how the Lord had a plan and line upon line, precept upon precept, the necessary changes were made to create an environment where the church could survive. The purpose of this outline was not to downgrade the other churches. Rather, to help understand the need for a restoration and the reality of an apostasy. Clearly the teachings of the Savior and the apostles were lost as certain men's thoughts were mingled with the scripture. I concluded with talking about how each of us has been reserved for thousands of years to be on the earth during the dispensation of the fullness of times. We need to ask ourselves why the Lord waited to send us here at this crucial time. He has a mission for each of us to perform. It wasn't just chance or a malfunctioning blip out in the cosmos that caused us to come to earth when we did. We are here during this time to help build the kingdom and prepare the world for the second coming of the Savior. Because of that, we don't have a right to mess around with the temptations of the adversary. It's just not worth our eternal life.

One of my best friends I've met out on the mission, Ben Rowberry, is leaving for the Johannesburg MTC tomorrow. Yesterday, after the gospel principles lesson, he pulled me aside and said, "I want you to know that you were my first trainer. Though I will have a trainer out in the field, you are my first." Ben has been coming out to lessons with us a lot. He is amazing. He's 22 years old, is the lead singer of a very good band called the Stencils (haha), and is 6'5". If I could, I would send some pictures but for some reason the library computers are blocked so that I can't load them on.

We had a neat experience this last week with finding. We were tracting a certain street, finding no success, when we decided to leave and go stop by some less active members and potential investigators. We left for about 15-20 minutes and then felt like we needed to go back to the place we were tracting and knock a few more doors. We only had a few minutes before our next appointment but we did anyway. The second door we knocked was a lady, her son, and her daughter. I said, "Hi my name is Elder Mouritsen, and this is Elder Brothers. We are representatives of Jesus Christ and as representatives of Him we are offering prayers for people to bless them with whatever they need. Could we offer a prayer for you and your family?" (Something to that effect). She paused for a minute and then said yes and invited us in. We sat on the couch and talked about certain things that they would like us to pray for. It was the typical family, work, health, etc. We said the prayer and left. They told us we could come by again two days later. We did so. When we got there they invited us in again. We sat down and began asking them questions regarding religion in their past, their beliefs, expectations of us, etc. We then proceeded to teach about the doctrines of Christ and how His doctrines were restored. I've never taught anybody who listened so intently! The mom's name is Chantelle and she told us that she had been waiting for someone to come and get her to start coming back to church. I told her our experience of coming back to knock on her door. I told her that we actually stopped for the day but decided to come back. We assured her that the Lord had sent us there and that we could help her. She accepted the invitation to be baptized and to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. It was a good feeling leaving the home. She owns her own restaurant and has to work on Sundays but hopes to be able to get off to come to church. Great potential.

Regarding the phone call next week, We have church from 10-4. Then a member is feeding us at 5. My exit interview with President Taylor is at 8:15 p.m. Would it be ok if I called around 6-6:15? Justin King is taking us out to lunch on Friday. Dingle is definitely high on the list of places to be asap :). But if you have prior engagements I wouldn't want to intrude on them.

What a neat experience you had at FHE! The topic you have decided is awesome. I think about that scripture quite regularly. I would love to be at a softball game before going to Kaysville. That's a priority. Thanks for the idea about writing a letter to myself. I will definitely take you up on it. Mom, Elder Brothers wrote you a letter for Mother's day. Don't open it until then! Hopefully he said some "ok" things. Haha

I love you all. It's very bittersweet to have this be the last time I will ever close an email with a black tag over my heart. It's been the greatest two years of my life. I wouldn't trade the opportunities, blessings, and experiences I've had for the world. Over 27 months ago, I was quite distraught with my call to serve so close to home. I really wanted to go somewhere far. I vocalized that in my farewell talk. I know this is where I was supposed to be for the last two years of my life. I wouldn't have it any different. The Arizona Phoenix Mission has become my own personal Sacred Grove. As Amy Leo would say, "I LOVE MY LIFFFFFEEEE!!!"
Thanks again for being so awesome. See you next week.

Until then,

Elder Colton Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment