Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Week #2 at the MTC: "I shook the hand of an Apostle!"

Hello family!

This week went very well. The district is literally all best friends. Elder Halligan (from Tooele) and I have already discussed getting together after our missions and hanging out and what not. The rest of the district wants to be able to have mission reunions and come together and tell stories. Its so much dang fun. On Monday night we had to say goodbye to the older district and it is so weird how you can become such good friends with people, when you've only known them for less than two weeks. I seriously feel like I've known those elders just as long as some of my best friends back home. Elder Ballantyne (from St. George), Elder Hymas (Idaho Falls), Elder Tidwell (from Layton, who also knows Carly Raitt) are just three of a few others that all exchanged addresses so that we can stay in contact during the mission as well as after. They stayed in our room till after midnight just talking and saying our goodbyes. It was kinda sad!

I want to share an experience I had regarding obedience. The first couple days of the mission we were informed of all the rules that you are supposed to follow while serving. One of them was no bracelets or chewing gum. Not chewing gum was easy but I really didn't want to take off my "Brotherhood" bracelet. I left it on for the first couple days of the mission and I just remember feeling terribly homesick and as if I didn't want to participate in any of the lessons. That Thursday night I removed the bracelet and placed it on my desk where I could always see it. About a week went by and I had noticed that during that span of time my attitude and feelings were all positive! So, one night when we were sitting in our room, I noticed the bracelet sitting there on my desk. I grabbed it and immediately put it back on. The next day was one of the worst days of the mission. My attitude was negative and there was no reason for it and I couldn't figure out why I was feeling that way! I remember it being one of the longest days yet and when I returned to the Residence Hall that night, I looked at my wrist and thought, "No way." I removed the bracelet and set it back on my desk. It wasn't five minutes when someone came in and asked me if I wanted to come down to their room and hang out or go get some food at the vending machines. My attitude took a 180 degree turn and became positive, that fast. I could only smile as I told myself just how important it is to be obedient. You may think this to be coincidence, but I've learned to believe otherwise.

Our 2nd T.A. (Teaching Appointment) went well. He said he wanted to learn more before being baptized. After hearing this, something told me to bear my testimony on the importance of the book of mormon. I shared the experience I had with mom when she asked me to read Alma 29. The Spirit was there and so amazing! I got emotional while telling the story and afterwards we recommitted him to baptism and he said yes.

May 23rd new zone leaders were called and I was called to be District Leader. Elder Halligan and Choules were called to be the Zone Leaders. Its awesome cause in reality its as if we are all just one big companionship working together. I love the district and they make it so easy to be district leader.

Last night (May 25th) Elder D. Todd Christofferson and his wife came and spoke to us. It was so awesome when he entered the room and the entire place stood up for him and went silent. He said some things that really stuck out to me: "Apostles can't to it (spread the Gosple to the world) alone...Would you join us.. in this apostalic calling and be our companions? We are so thrilled when you accept." I thought it was so awesome that he said join and companions. He could have just as easily said servant or something to that effect. Later he said that he is confident in me to teach with power, and bear testimony with persuasiveness. How could I let an apostle of the Lord down? Not possible. After the meeting, some of us went outside and were waiting to see if we could see him drive past us. Oh, he just walked over to our group of missionaries standing there and shook every one of our hands. It was amazing and I wouldn't doubt it if I never got the opportunity again! He just held my hand in his and said, "It's so nice to meet and see you Elder Mouritsen." I think I peed a little and couldn't get any words out... :) haha. It was way cool though.

My travel itinerary is here and I fly out June 1st at 9:52am and get there at 10:30am. haha. I will be able to call you that morning but I'm not exactly sure the time! So just be expecting it.

I love you all so much!

Elder Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment