Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Monday, August 9, 2010

August 3-9, 2010: Baptism, Badminton, & Bad News

Phoenix flooding during a rainstorm.

Colton holding a cat that is fifth generation leopard.


Chris Baird at the Mesa Temple

"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing: persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, and calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth bodly, nobly, and independent till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done."
-Joseph Smith

Hello family!

Madison and L-Mo phenomenal job with the softball! Man!! I better be receiving some pictures sometime soon. I'm not kidding. I can't believe you guys won the championship!! That's some serious stuff right there. Comp Softball is no easy task! Way to be!

Oh man this week has been filled. It feels like forever since the last time I emailed you but then at the same time it feels like this week went by faster than ever. As I think I've told you, Mike James was baptized last Sunday. He had a baptismal date since April because he wanted to be baptized on his wife's birthday, August 1st. And it happened, I just hope he was doing it for him, and not just for his wife. He's like 65 years old! haha The baptism was great. Brother Wisehart, the High Priest Group Leader baptized him. Brother Wisehart is a convert himself who did all that he could to prove the Book of Mormon to be wrong. He says that his conversion came from the bible, and also from the fact that he couldn't prove the Book of Mormon to be wrong. Cool story. Anyways: Since Mike is a bit older and larger, and Bro Wisehart is the same way, Mike wanted him to be baptized frontwards so that he would be able to stand back up and Bro Wisehart wouldn't drop him if they went backwards. Failure. Total Failure. He said the prayer and then began to lower him face first into the water and got to a point to where he just wouldn't bend anymore. And the back of his bald head, as well as his entire back was sticking out of the water, all the while Brother Wisehart grabbed the back of his head and began to repeatedly push his face under the water, making it look as if he were drowning him. HAHAHA That's all that was going through my mind, "Don't drown the poor man!" Well, the stake president happened to be there and he came up behind me (we were the witnesses) and asked me if it needed to be done backwards. I told him he was more comfortable this way but we'll probably be going backwards now because it just wasn't working out. Another thing that was going through my mind was the fact that we had several other investigators there and what the crap do you think was going through their minds as Brother Wisehart looked as if he was plunging something from a toilet as he tried to force Brother James under the water. He just wouldn't budge. So, he pulled him back out and immediately threw him backwards into the water. While Mike was down we had to tell Brother Wisehart that he needed to re-say the prayer and then baptize him. Finally, it was done correctly and the baptism was performed. HAHA I'll never forget that.
Mike James and his wife at his baptism. Brother "Wild Bill" Brown & Sister Brown (seated).

The next day on P-Day we had an AWESOME zone activity. Zone Badminton Tournament!!! President and Sister Beck were coming too because supposedly they were like professionals. Well we started off playing Elder Wright and Elder Harker who are two athletes and they barely beat us. Luckily it was double elimination and we still had a chance to make it to the championship but we were the very first team to be placed in the losers bracket. Poor Elder Cichy is blind in his left eye so you can only imagine the depth perception issues there is to hitting a birdie flying towards you. It was great though! There were so many companionships. It was legit! Our next three games we got up 6-0 and ended up destroying those teams. It came down to the wire in the fourth one though and the winner went on to play Elder Wright and Elder Harker to go to the championship. GEEZ! So much adrenaline rushing I couldn't believe it. HAHA Well we beat them and went on to play Wright and Harker. They got up on us 3-0 but we then went on a streak. After some major slams, spikes, and saves we battled back and won like 15-10. Championship game time and it was against the Zone Leaders who set up the whole deal and they were solid. Elder Wesche (from Viewmont, he knows Shaun) and Elder Kennington (from Afton, Wyoming). They got up 14-9 and it was game point and my serve. Very luckily, and nervously we got back to 13-14 but then they scored a lucky little drop shot and we lost :'(. Oh well, we battled. It was very fun though!
We taught Tom and Tom Jr. this week. There was some progression with Tom as he expressed interest in repenting but he also said that there are just some things that he knows he won't be able to quit doing. We told him that repentance in reality is change and if you are changing yourself for the better and continue to repent, Heavenly Father knows you are trying and will continue to forgive you. He then expressed interest in having his nine year old son baptized. We asked him about himself and he said, "I want my son to baptize me. I feel like that is the reason I had a son and I'm willing to wait 7 years for him to receive the priesthood so that that can happen." Immediately, I had a feeling of everything is going to be ok come over me, the same one that came back on the baseball diamond. I recognized the feeling, and couldn't deny it. The member who was with us got quite stern and pulled out the Alma 34:32-34 Procrastinate no more! scripture and Tom was set on his decision. He said that several years ago, he sat in his Uncle's basement (who is a member) and just prayed to know the purpose behind him having a son, and that is the answer that he was impressed with. After debating with the member who was with us he said this, "If you are here to help me through this, then help me, help him, as he grows up in the church and continues on worthily so that he'll be able to baptize me." I pulled him aside after the discussion and told him I felt great about the decision. I didn't know why because that's not the normal way of doing things. It'll all work out though. "...The purposes of God shall be accomplished.."

Wednesday night we were on splits. Cichy went with a Ward Missionary and visited Chris Baird and I went to the Mineers home and visited with Stevie. We talked about the Plan of Salvation and also some questions he had concerning the Book of Mormon. His knowledge of the Book has already exceeded mine it seems. He understand the Isaiah chapters as well as I understand the story of Ammon. hahah. We got to the point where we were talking about the reasons that Christ was baptized. Cause, if it's to be cleansed of all your sins, then why would Christ need to be baptized? Of course, the Book of Mormon describes all that. 2 Nephi 31:5-9. It's a commandment and Christ was obedient by humbling himself before the father and following His commandments. Stevie was then commited to baptism and set a date for August 14th! Awesome! He's already so powerful and was almost in tears when we visited the Mesa Temple and watched the Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration movie.

Yesterday was a pretty low down day. We were teaching Stevie the 4th lesson when we randomly got a call from President Beck. Cichy answered it and President said that someone would be coming to our house at 6:00 to pick us up and bring us to the mission office to talk with him. Immediately butterflies filled the soul and we began searching for clues about what it could be. We had been obedient! We had no idea what it could've been. As we rode home I got a sort of sick feeling that it had something to do with our families but I couldn't entertain that sort of thought and disregarded it. The Spanish AP's picked us up and drove us over there and as we got inside, President was waiting and he said, "Elder Mouritsen I'm going to be speaking with Elder Cichy for a moment if you just want to wait outside and study." I still had no idea what was going on. After about 10-15 minutes passed, President returned without Elder Cichy and let me know that Cichy's father had been diagnosed with a serious medical problem and that he was speaking on the phone to him. I felt some immediate sorrow and sadness for him as I couldn't bare to imagine what he must be feeling at this moment. Probably 25-30 minutes passed and he finally came out of the room and then President returned with him for another chat. He then came out and asked me to join them. As I went in I could tell that Cichy had been a bit teary eyed, but that was easily expected. He told me that doctors had just found a brain tumor about the size of a quarter in the frontal lobe of the brain but luckily its in the early stages and it's a miracle that they caught it so early. This tumor happens to be the same type that his dad's brother died from several years earlier, which makes it very scary. After talking about it, Cichy asked president for a blessing. The spirit filled the room as we both laid our hands on his head and President Beck gave comfort, reminders, and council regarding the current situation. On the way out, Cichy said, "I told you it wasn't your family." I replied, "Your family, is my family." From this experience, we are becoming more unified and strengthened as we improve our efforts and continue on doing all that we can to focus on the work and do as Elder Cichy's dad told him, "don't let this get in the way of your Heavenly Father's work." Easier said than done. Please pray for him and also for Elder Cichy, as their family goes through this tough time.

I hope all is going well for you guys! I love you all so much. I'm going to try to send pictures as soon as possible. I know I've been saying that but now I'm in the stake center family history center and I think it'll work. I love all your powerful testimonies and experiences you have from overcoming trials and going to the scriptures to find comfort. Never forget those feelings and experiences. You guys are amazing and thank you so much for the prayers. We have seen them answered as doors have been opened with people who are ready to hear the message of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Love you all,

Elder Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment