This week has been sweet. Two weeks ago we met with a man named Stevie who is a friend of a guy in the ward named Brother Mineer. Now, Brother Mineer is about 6 foot 7 and MASSIVE. He's very persuasive and has a booming voice, one that you would normally hear announcing a sporting event. He's been bringing Stevie to church several times and then two weeks ago Stevie agreed to meet with us. The first time we met he told us he had many questions concerning the Book of Mormon, which was great cause we knew he had been reading. As we sat in the family room of the Mineer's home and discussed with Stevie, the spirit of contention just filled the room and it was actually quite scary. His eyes would get really big and wide and looked blood shot (i'm not even kidding) and he would stare at us as if he was looking into the depths of our soul. He would ask a question from what he had read and get extremely loud, angry, and vulgar. It was very hard to find the spirit but as we bore testimony and answered some of his questions, his entire countenance would change and he would recognize what he was feeling. At those points in the lesson, when he was feeling the spirit, we thought the contention would leave. Nope, wrong. He would look us right in the eye. Get all contentious again. Tell us that he has committed abominations in the sight of the Lord. And one of the most heart wrenching was when he said, "I'm not afraid to walk the halls of hell with the Devil! I don't fear him! I've murdered an unborn child! I committed abominations in the sight of the Lord!!" I'm pretty sure all color and expression in my face was gone. Several times this happened where it would be Spirit of Contention, then Spirit of Christ. Spirit of Contention=Darkness. Spirit of Christ=Light. No Darkness can dwell where there is Light and I saw that come to pass as the Spirit of Contention was immediately illuminated. Stevie kept telling us he had so many questions but they were all about deep doctrines of the gospel. He asked us if we ever have questioned our faith or doubted God. I said, "Stevie of course! The prophet Joseph Smith even did when he was in the Liberty jail! He said it himself as he said in a prayer, "Oh God, Where art thou?!" Even the prophet of the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ questioned his faith and God's plan for him. We all do but it can also all be overcome. As soon as we understand the basic doctrine of Christ which is faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end, then we have a shot at understanding all the deep doctrines! I myself am SOO far from understanding such things it's not even funny! But I can promise you that as you exercise your own faith and focus on the foundation that Christ taught, all things can be made possible to understand. I don't doubt God, He is perfect. But it's normal to often doubt myself. I'm human." It's funny cause that was one of the only times I said anything during the lesson and after that we said the closing prayer. We then watched the talk given by Elder Holland on the Book of Mormon and it almost seemed like Stevie was getting emotional. After the talk he said, "You can't deny the truth." That night we were discussing it and another member was listening to what we were telling him about Stevie and we began to think that he could be influenced by some demonic power. The member we were talking to said he had had experience with things like this and we were describing them to a T. We hoped it wasn't the case.
We saw him at church the next week and we met with him the week after again. It was unbelievable. I wouldn't believe the 180 degree flip flop that took place had I not witnessed it myself. He called us saying he was going to take things now on blind faith and that he would leave the negativity home. That week at our lesson, he couldn't stop smiling and showing tons of gratitude towards us and what we had brought into his life. Yesterday we had a baptism of Brother Mike James and Stevie came with Brother Mineer. At the end of the baptism he went up to the font and said, "I think I might just jump in right now." Are you kidding me?!?! haha no way did he just say that. Two weeks ago he was picking apart everything he could that had to do with the church and now he can't wait to be baptized. He's already borne his testimony and can't get the glow and smile off of his face. We are going to the temple visitors center with him on Wednesday. Can't wait.
I can't tell you how much power there is from the gospel being brought into people's lives. We have something that others need and it's our job to be the instrument that the spirit can work through in relaying the message. President John Taylor taught, "we are held accountable for those we WOULD HAVE taught." What if us sharing the gospel was their only chance to hear the message? What if they would've accepted? If all else fails just be bold and invite.
I woman requested a bible from mormon.org this week soo.... we gave her a Book of Mormon. haha. She accepted gratefully and the next day we followed up and she said she had read it and prayed about it and loved it! The week after we had a church tour and it was the first real time we met with her and taught her. Yup, she's committed to be baptized on August 21. It's amazing how through obedience and bringing souls into the waters of baptism, brings others into the pool of teaching. This is our Father in Heaven's work and he directs it. I would never think otherwise.
A quote by Elder Bruce R. McConkie
"I am called of God. My authority is above that of Kings of the earth. By revelation I have been selected as a personal representative of my Lord, Jesus Christ. He is my master. And he has chosen me to represent him, to stand in His place. To say and do what He Himself would say and do, if he personally were ministering to the very people to whom he has sent me. My voice is His voice, and my acts are His acts. My words are His words, and my doctrine is His doctrine. My commission is to do what He wants done, to say what he wants said. To be a living, modern witness of the divinity of this great and marvelous latter-day work. How great is my calling!"
I think it applies to us as priesthood holders and also members of the church. It's a blessing to have this gospel. It changes lives. Let it change our own.
I love ya'll so much.
Love,
Elder Mouritsen
Monday, August 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment