Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Monday, September 6, 2010

August 31 - September 6, 2010: Another Zone Record for Baptisms

Mouritsen Family,

"Imagine all you want in life is the ocean and your father has the power to give it to you, but he won't. It's so devastating that it's possible for him to do it, but he just won't. One day, all of a sudden he decides to give it to you, and you realize all the mysteries, possibilities, opportunities, and joys that come from it!"
-A quote from Charlotte Hurley, restated by our Bishop while they were driving home after Charlotte was baptized.

I think I told you last week that Charlotte's dad finally agreed to allow her to be baptized. After about 5 years of investigating, being told several times that he'll sign the baptismal record and going back on his word once the paper was in front of him, finally six months before she turns 18, he signed it. It was a very emotional and special day for her and also for the rest of the ward. With nearly 80 people in attendance we had to do the program in the stake center chapel, and then move everybody into the primary room for the baptism. Elder Cichy was asked to baptize her which was awesome! I've never seen so many people gathered around for a person to be baptized! It was very cool to see her dad, sister, best friend, mom, and her dad's girlfriend all get emotional because of the powerful spirit that was present. After the ordinance, everyone was ushered back into the chapel for the missionary's intermediate message, only that Cichy was in the changing room getting dried off and back into his suit. So I had to go at it alone, haha. All those times speaking in church have been paying off and I've never been so grateful for those opportunites! Charlotte bore her testimony which was piercing and then the Bishop finished with some powerful advice and heart felt words.



Following that service, there was another baptism by some other missionaries in our district. The young woman being baptized said something that struck me. "You never know how lost you are, until you find the truth." She then recalled her conversion experience and it reminded me of how even if we've grown up in the church, we still have a conversion story. I've tried to find the source of mine, but the experiences that have strengthened my testimony are without end and they continue daily here on the mission. I think it takes a lifetime of effort and faith to truly become converted to this gospel.

After that baptism, we hurried home to eat some lunch and then we had to be back around three because another girl was being baptized at four o'clock in our ward. She's nine years old so she's still a convert baptism, but she was being baptized with the eight year olds. It was funny to hear that Charlotte had been chosen several weeks ago to speak at this baptism on the topic of baptism, even though she had never been baptized (at that time). Well, now she had been just a few hours earlier, BUT when she got on the stand the other girl that was supposed to speak on the Holy Ghost had prepared a talk on baptism as well. So, Charlotte had to change her entire topic and give a talk on the spot on something that she hadn't even received yet. It was still a great talk for not having anything prepared!

Yesterday, Brother Mike James was ordained to the office of a Priest and received the Aaronic Priesthood. Next, Charlotte was confirmed a member of the church and commanded to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. She had asked me to be the spokesperson and I was so dang nervous to do so!! Man, it was my first one and of course it had to be a girl that the entire ward knew who also had one of the biggest support groups! It was soothing to feel all the nervousness go away as we laid our hands upon her head. It was one of the best weekends ever! During fast and testimony meeting, over half of the testimonies had to do with the person's love for Charlotte and her persistence and determination. It was really cool to see!

Later that night we visited with a man named Andy Esquivel. He has a wife and 18 year old daughter who are both members and then two young sons. The whole family comes to church every week but we found out that Andy has never been baptized. As we visited with him we found that he has no real problems with any of the doctrine, he just doens't really know if God exists. It's kind of hard for him to receive answers to prayers when he doesn't know if there is anything to pray to. I'm almost positive that he's had experiences in his life where miracles have happened but he just doesn't recognize that it's the power of God or the spirit speaking to him. Ironically, he asked us for a blessing because his back had been hurting him. Uhmm, what? You don't believe in God but you believe that you can be healed by His power? Hmmm... It's things like that though, where he just doesn't recognize that that could be his answer that God really does exist. I think he'll come around soon and become a member. The blessing was neat though, he asked Cichy to anoint and then I sealed the anointing. It was cool to hear him say that immediately following the blessing, the tedious pain in his back began to subside. Throughout the day on Sunday, we were involved in 4 different priesthood blessings, and 3 of them were totally different types which was really neat! (the fourth one was the 9 year old girl, Krystyanna Laven, her confirmation).

Anyways, I think that's about all for now! I hope all is going well. It's cool to hear about experiences you are having regarding answers to prayers, comfort despite trial, and focus despite busyness. I hope the girls are doing great as well! I haven't heard from them for awhile. I created a "brotherhood" chat deal where all of their email addresses are in one big email so we can all talk to each other by sending one email each. Hopefully it works out. I've heard from Elder Larrabee and he's doing awesome! I knew he would be an amazing missionary. Tell Grandpa Roger I love him and I'll be praying for his strength. I got the letter from Grandma Georgia and it sounds like they had a blast up in Dingle! Demolition Derby on a saturday night must be phenomenal!! I can see the family coming back to Phoenix for sure! Cichy is from Calgary. I can't wait to hear the results from the Wasatch 100! Last month we beat the zone record again with baptisms. The field truely is white and ready to harvest. The Lord is preparing his elect for one more harvest!

I love you all very much.

Love,

Elder Mouritsen

P.S. some quotes:

"You only pass this way once. You only have one shot to be an influence for good with the people that are with you. The time, people and situation will never be dublicated again. No one else will be able to do what you can do. Some people you will prepare to change, others you will help change, and others yet will rely completely on you to know the truth. Do whatever it takes! Live to have no regrets! Do some good today and everyday!"
-Anonymous

"Pain is God's megaphone to awake the sleeping spirituality of the world."
-C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment