Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Monday, September 13, 2010

September 7-13, 2010: Howard's Love Story

Hello Family!

Man, dad that broke my heart hearing that you had troubles on the race. I honestly couldn't stop thinking about what you were going through. I remember waking up on Friday morning saying, "well my dad is running now." And then I remember eating lunch on Saturday thinking the same thing. I think that is a swell plan to wait to run it again when I get back. Maybe I'll be able to do it all with ya.... Don't count on it. haha I'll definitely pace though. That's so cool you were able to have time spent with Bailee and Madi. Of course they didn't hold you back! All the elders here think you are unbelievable for all the running you do. This morning we went and climbed Lookout Peak and had a little district meeting up there. It was really neat to see the entire valley and then read Alma 47. Those war chapters are some of my favorites. On the way down they were all like, "Hey let's be like Mouritsen's dad and run!" It didn't last long though because the entire trail was rocks about the size of baseballs and softballs and scree in between.
That's awesome that Caleb Livingston emailed Jeff Hansen! Caleb is awesome. He's also the bishop’s son. Caleb had so many good stories and good things to say about Jeff. He was a phenomenal missionary.

This week has gone by pretty quickly! We are meeting with a man named Chris Jordan who just randomly came to church a few weeks ago. Prior to coming, he was severely anti and never dreamed he would hold a Book of Mormon in his hand or set foot into a Mormon church. We meet with him weekly now and since the time he came to church, he's read several chapters from the Book of Mormon and has nearly had the "baseball bat over the head" experience as he calls it. He read Alma 32 (faith), 2 Nephi 31-33 (gospel of Jesus Christ, especially baptism), and then of course I gave him 2 Nephi 4 (17 Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities). He's got a problem with the Word of Wisdom, so hopefully he doesn't think that I'm trying to chastise him when Nephi says, "O wretched man that I am!" haha I think it was ok cause we talked to him at church and he seemed fine. It's been awesome to see his countenance change though - from being extremely anti, to reading parts of the Book of Mormon, to now having a baptismal date for October 11. The Lord truly is preparing his elect one last time and for one last harvest.

We've been meeting with a young girl named Jeanette Weaver. She's seventeen and was introduced to the church by her "friend" Tyler Johnson. Since the first time we taught her she's been SOLID and keeps her commitments to read the Book of Mormon and come to church. At first there was some speculation as to why she was investigating the church. We thought that it was because of Tyler, which is fine but we also wanted her to be doing it for herself. A few weeks ago we set a date for her to be baptized on September 12 and she was extremely excited. Only one thing lay in the way though, her mom. Her mom has a few issues with the church and some other things, yet she didn't mind that Jeanette was meeting with the missionaries, reading the Book of Mormon, and coming to church. A week and a half before Jeanette's baptismal date she asked her mom about being baptized and it didn't go well. Her mom was quite angry and told her that even though she's almost 18 and won't need permission to be baptized, she really didn't want her to do it. Jeanette said it was awkward with her ever since then. Saturday we talked with her about the conversation with her mom and it was one of the saddest experiences on the mission. Tears began to slowly fall down her face as she related to us what happened. Our advice was to love her and be an example by allowing her light and joy from the gospel to have an affect on her mom. We asked her why she wanted to be baptized. This was the saddest part. She immediately burst into tears to the point to where she couldn't even get the words out. When she composed herself, she told us that it was because she wants the happiness that she knows it'll bring. To this point all she's been able to do is taste the fruit, and she knows that baptism and the Holy Ghost can bring that whole, lasting happiness. We really didn't know what to say... Last night we got a call from Tyler saying that Jeanette had talked to her mom again. I guess she sat Jeanette down and told her she had some important things on her mind to discuss. They talked about religion and it was going pretty well! Then all of a sudden she just turns on her and says, "Jeanette I want you to give your Book of Mormon back. You can't meet with the missionaries anymore and I'm not going to allow you to go to church. If you get baptized while you live under my roof, I will kick you out." Last night we were so ticked it was hard to do anything. Matthew 10:32-40 describes this perfectly.

32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
40 ¶ He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.


Tom and Tom jr. are coming along nicely. Tom wants to be baptized but the thing is, he wants it to be done while he's wearing a Boba Fett suit and his son while he's wearing a storm trooper suit... Yeah they are kinda nerds when it comes to all that and it just makes me laugh but the thing is they are serious. HAHA! Tom comes to church regularly though and I have a feeling they will both be baptized in the near future.

Yesterday an 82 year old guy named Howard came to church. He has a hilarious story: When he was 7 years old he fell in love with a girl named Beverly, who was also 7 years old. He proposed to her and she didn't know he was as serious as he was at the time but she said yes anyway! Of course they weren't married but continued being friends. When they got a little older, Beverly met another guy and married him. Howard was very angry and jealous. Her marriage didn't go well and ended quickly in divorce. Of course, Howard was very ecstatic. He was planning it all out so that he could take her out on a date when suddenly, his brother decided he was going to do the same thing. Howard's brother took Howard's car and asked Beverly on a date. Well, sparks flew and it turns out that Howard's brother ended up marrying her. Howard didn't like that one bit. haha But Howard ended up finding a wife who later died young from lung cancer but he never forgot about his first love, Beverly. Beverly and Howard's brother lived a long, wholesome life until around the age of 80 when his brother began having medical issues. She wanted to divorce him too for some reason that I don't know, but couldn't because she felt bad because her insurance was supporting his medical bills. Despite the fact they didn't live together, they didn't get a divorce. Beverly moved back in with Schultzie, along with 82 year old Howard, who still loved her dearly. It was so funny because you never would have thought they weren't married. Well, Beverly ended up dying a few weeks ago. She's not a member of the church but now Howard wants to start coming to church and become a member. I think that someone told him that he can be sealed to her for eternity and that got his attention. If he couldn't get her in this life, he'll get her in the eternities! Anyways, we are now teaching him weekly and it'll be really cool to be a part of the baptism of someone as old as Howard!

That's about all this week. Thank you so much for the package! Sister Garrett is one of the nicest ladies. The ankle brace is phenomenal and definitely protected me on the hike! I can already feel it getting stronger. The ties are awesome as well! And the salsa and jam... perfect. Thank you so much!

I love you all so much. I hope all is going well! Can't wait to hear from you again.

Till then,

Love,

Elder Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment