Hello there!
This week has been phenomenal. Regarding a coat, when it gets below 65 degrees we have to wear our suit jackets so I think a better alternative for some reason would be to wear some V-Neck sweaters underneath for warmth. The coat would be great, and I think if I were serving up in Cottonwood or Prescott I would say definitely get it! But since down here it won't get unbearably cold, a few dark sweaters would be great. Mom, you got great taste for that kind of stuff. I know it!
That's too bad you were sick! Don't forget to pound the Airborne, that stuff is magical. We had Stake Conference this weekend too. Our stake president, President Hettinger, is one of the coolest guys I've ever met. A few weeks ago he was in his church meetings one Sunday and all of a sudden his vision in his left eye disappeared. He couldn't believe it so he talked to some neurosurgeons in the stake and asked them what he should do. They told him he should go to the hospital immediately because there could have been some issues with the occipital lobe in the rear of the brain. He did so and came to find out that he had had a minor stroke in the right occipital lobe which affected his left eyesight. He was there for several days and while he was there he had his wife bring him two essential items, a toothbrush, and his scriptures. She also brought him some music that he loves by a group called Jericho Road. They sing the song Amazing Grace which he especially loves. Ironically, his nurse’s name was Gracie, and she came in the room and noticed the scriptures and asked him if he was Mormon. He told her yes and she then told him that she lives on 35th Avenue and Thunderbird and has been meeting with the missionaries in the Country Gables ward named Elder Mouritsen and Elder Nelson. President Hettinger was thrilled and they ended up talking for quite a long time. He then invited her to dinner at his home a few weeks later (which we will be going to this Wednesday). Well, when we met Gracie we were riding our bikes in the parking lot of her apartment complex and she stopped us as she rolled down her window and asked us, "Hey do you guys teach lessons?" HAHAHAHA WHAT?!?! No.. well uhh... umm. yeah sometimes? YES! We were flabbergasted. She is solid, except for that she is single and in her twenties so we will be passing her over to the YSA elders. Needless to say it was cool to get a shout out from the stake president in stake conference. He applied it to the fact that Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us in this life. He had a plan for him to run in to Gracie because of a minor stroke. He had a plan that we as his instruments were there in the parking lot to meet her that day she talked to us. Everything Happens For A Reason!
Yesterday, the state of AZ all had a broadcasted stake conference from Salt Lake. President Monson, Elder Cook, Bishop Burton, and Sister Barbara Thompson spoke. It was kind of crazy to see that each of the topics were quite different.
Another cool story: A few days ago we were contacting and ran into this woman named Rayanna. She said we could come back in a few days and talk with her more so we got her address and left. Two days later we went back to her home, knocked on the door, and a man with answered the door. We asked him if Rayanna was home and he said that there was no Rayanna that lived there. His name was Doug and despite the fact that we were quite bugged that we had just knocked on ANOTHER false address that was given to us, we started talking to him about the Book of Mormon. We left him a copy and then committed him to read and pray. 2 Nephi 31-33 came to mind and he said he would. We set a return appointment for yesterday and had one of the most spiritual lessons of my entire mission. We went in, and in his soft spoken voice he told us that he had read what we asked him and he was intrigued to learn more. We sat down and began reading the intro to the Book of Mormon, talked about it and committed him to pray. The spirit was penetrating, and nobody could deny what was present in that room. With that, I said How about we say a prayer right now? He said yes and we knelt down and I offered a prayer asking Heavenly Father to please help us to know that the Holy Ghost was with us and that the Book of Mormon was true. At the end of the prayer we just sat in silence and let the Spirit speak for about 15-20 seconds (which felt like eternity). We asked him if he would like to come to church with us, his response was, "Well... uhh... I'll have to see if I have clothes." It was so sincere and we let him know he would be fine in the clothes he was wearing at the moment. It was seriously one of the greatest nights and it just so happened that the bishop's son was on exchanges with us so he was able to witness it as well. He's 17 and preparing for a mission.
Well. I just received news that I am being transferred. I'm quite astounded because being a DL and a trainer for one transfer and then leaving so that Elder Nelson can take over the area is quite unheard of. I wonder what the Lord has in store for me now. Pretty nervous and shaking at the very moment I write this. One of the Zone Leaders in the zone is getting transferred as well and then another elder named Elder Schafer from our district. It's nuts and I can't believe it! I'll have to let you know at a later time where I go and what happens.
Girls. As for you and your diligence in choosing for yourself that you will do what Heavenly Father has asked and go to church, you will be blessed. I promise. You guys inspire me. I've seen lives change here and people exercise a little more faith and perhaps even leave their comfort zones to do what God has asked. Tom Hughes, the man who used to hold the Book of Mormon in one hand, a beer in the other, and a big lump of chew in the lip, is now getting baptized on November 27. We gave him a Priesthood blessing a few days ago and it was amazing to see tears flow into his eyes as he witnessed the windows of heaven pour down upon him. I promise this church is true. There is nothing like this work. It's the most fulfilling, devastating, loving, and fun work in the world.
I love you all very much. The weather is getting very...cold down here. :/ It's like 75 for the next couple days. Crazy. Nights are kinda chilly though but Mom the blanket you gave me keeps me perfectly warm! Oh and sorry I didn't write anybody back last week. We had a zone activity and played death ball (dodge ball with only one ball. Everyone against everyone just running frantically around the basketball court. Champion 2/3 times. That's what’s up. Haha jk.) so we didn't have much time to do anything during that day. Hopefully I'll get time today.
Love you
Love,
Elder Colton Mouritsen
P.S.
President just called. I have been called by the Lord to be a Zone Leader... I'm quite nervous at the moment and am shaking uncontrollably.
Love you.
Monday, November 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment