Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Monday, November 29, 2010

November 23-29, 2010: Devin Jensen: A Witness of God

Hello family:

My heart sank at the news of Devin. It definitely was a reality check on life and the Plan of Salvation. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a powerful missionary on the other side of the veil, just as he was while here. President Beck's council is very comforting. He talked about a quote from President Boyd K. Packer. (I may have related this to you before) President Packer said that in all of his years as an apostle, he has witnessed and/or experienced every single emotion possible. All except for one. That one is fear. He's never seen fear in any of the apostles nor felt fear within himself. This is because of the reality of God's plan for each of us, especially the Plan of Salvation. Devin had a purpose here, and he now has a purpose there. It's God's will and the people in the spirit world are extremely lucky to have such a high caliber man serving them. Of course I'm quite distraught about the whole thing but after much prayer and pleads for comfort, the feeling of "everything is alright" came. Though he will be greatly missed, we WILL see him again in the not so distant future. Please tell the Jensen family I love them with all my heart, my prayers are constantly shot towards heaven in their behalf.

Like you, it's hard for me to concentrate on the week with such news. With Thanksgiving being this week, I just want to focus on things that I'm grateful for. We were able to eat at a member's home in my old area. There was one member, and about 10-12 non members. It's the first Thanksgiving dinner I've had where alcohol was consumed with the meal. I'm grateful for a family who I feel I have taken for granted all my life. Please know my love for each of you. As a missionary, I feel that I've come to realize a little bit more the reality of the unconditional amount of love that our Savior has for us. In turn, that love has helped me to pattern my life after His and express my love easier, and more.


Saturday Brother Thomas Hughes was baptized. Despite being transferred two weeks ago, I was still able to attend. We've been working with him for over six months now and it was truly amazing to see his life change for the better. I'm grateful for covenants we can make with our Heavenly Father. I see the baptismal covenant as a win win instead of a pros and cons relation. All we have to do is remember Jesus Christ, take upon us His name, and keep His commandments and what do we get in return? One of the most powerful, essential necessities of life. The Holy Ghost. It's the Holy Ghost who brings peace, comfort, power, and strength. I'm forever grateful for the Holy Ghost. This whole experience reminds me of the scripture in Mosiah 18.

8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

As I heard about all the support of family and friends for the Jensen family, it reminded me of this scripture. Bearing one another's burdens, mourning with those that mourn, comforting those that stand in need of comfort. But most importantly, I think we all can agree that Devin was and is someone who stands as a witness of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that he was in. I think we can add his name to those in Alma 48:17-19. I'm thankful for the Book of Mormon and the influence it has on lives. I'm thankful for the knowledge we gain as members of Jesus Christ's church which has been restored to the earth today. Knowledge of the Plan of Salvation: It happens to be my favorite lesson to teach and has now been made more real than ever. I'm thankful for testimonies of those we love and the strength we receive from them.

Despite this tough trial, I hope that everyone can have an enjoyable Christmas season. We are going to the temple as a mission on Wednesday which will be very exciting. I think it's safe to say that Kennington and I are massive wimps because we FREEZE when we have to ride our bikes and when we go running in the mornings. This morning we went and climbed Shaw Butte and it was 38 degrees without the wind chill. At the top the wind was so freezing and with the sun not even up yet, it made for a cold run/hike. I think it is the first time that my face has gone numb this year. Justin and Melynda got our number and took us to lunch and also brought us some warm running gear. I guess Justin is giving up on running? I dunno. haha. But it saved us because we ended up putting the long sleeved running shirts on over our white shirts and ties and underneath our suits to stay warm last night as we went out on our bikes. The gloves are much appreciated as well.

Please send my condolences to the Jensen family and any extended family members. Let them all know how much I love Devin and look up to him. He's always been the best athlete in the family. I hope everyone can find comfort and peace in the atonement of Jesus Christ especially during the holidays. I love you.

Love,

Elder Colton Matthew Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment