Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Monday, December 6, 2010

November 30 - December 6, 2010: Hinderment or Instrument?

Hey family,

Sorry I am finally just barely getting to email. Today was very hectic! Your letter was extremely heart warming though... tears filled my eyes as I read the words about Devin. It's not that I'm extremely sad but it's just so cool to hear how strong the family is and that each of them are still able to bear their testimonies and share what they know to be true. They are definitely more powerful than I am. Also, that mom and Madi were able to bear their testimonies. And all the kids singing, speaking, and showing their support. That's what brings tears to my eyes.

This week we had our first Zone Leader Council. I feel so inadequate and small! This meeting is where we get instructed by the assistants and Presi
dent Beck as well as have a skills training. We had to practice teaching President Beck. Probably one of the scariest/most intimidating moments of my life. We then went over our numbers for the past month and set goals for the month to come. Wednesday was the Christmas Zone Conference. President was extremely emotional (which is very rare) as he shared stories from his youth regarding Christmas traditions he had when they would give what they could to families that were in need. He shared other stories of missionaries who did the same. It was very powerful. Elder Kennington & Elder Mouritsen with Santa

We then loaded up in the fleet of cars and drove to the Mesa temple. Kennington and I were the drivers of our truck and we had six in a little tiny Chevy Colorado. Of course, being the smallest of everyone, I was stuck in the front middle seat with one cheek on the seat and the other lifted and pointed at the elder in the passenger seat. He didn't like that much... We were able to have an awesome devotional in a chapel at the temple and then had the opportunity of doing a session. It was unbelievable to see all those missionaries praying in the Celestial room. I haven't experienced something like that in my life. We were then allowed to walk around the lights and take pictures with people. I ran into Elder Riley Landsaw while he was stationed on the temple grounds to contact and get referrals from anybody that came into his area. It was cool to see a familiar face. Then I just happened to run into the Kings again. It was neat to see all the girls - they are all getting so old and tall! I think each of the older ones are taller than me...

The rest of the week was just normal... haha The airborne couldn't have come at a better time because Friday night I came down with a terrible sickness all of a sudden. Nyquil, airborne, vitamin C, and ibuprofen have been my best friends.

Today...We planned a zone activity. Of course, we decided to play softball. We scrounged up a whole bunch of gloves and bats and a ball and then had a nice game at the Country Gables building. You know what they say though...It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. haha Here's a play by play. Elder Choules hits a fly ball to center field. Elder Schneider (district leader in the South district) runs to catch it. Sister Pilimai (super athletic Samoan girl) takes off for the ball as well. BAM!! They meet in the middle smashing in to each other face to face. I have the picture in my mind and it was pretty funny until we noticed that Schneider wasn't getting up. Pilimai jumped right up and was all worried about Schneider. He had a major bloody nose but said that he was good and we needed to keep playing. Like a minute later he's like, "umm... No we all need to stop... my face/jaw is not working." You have to know Elder Schneider to think that's funny but needless to say we stopped the game. As we examined his face, we noticed that there was a gaping hole/divot in the side of his head in between the ear and the eye ball on the right side of his face. We called Sister Beck, who instructed us to go and ask Doctor Cathcart. Me and another elder gave him a blessing and then we drove him to Cathcarts who gave one look at him and then cringed as he said that he thinks he collapsed his zygomatic arch... Yeah I don't know what that is either but it's something that connects your main skull to your jaw bone. He's with us right now at the moment and his eye is starting to black up as well. He got owned by a Samoan sister. haha It's sad but I would feel a lot worse if she got hurt. Cathcart said that he will probably need surgery by an orthopedic or plastic surgeon where they cut a little incision in the face and then stick a balloon in and then inflate it to push it back in place. Anyways, it put a real damper to a good game of softball but I think everything will be fine!

We have several baptisms coming up in the singles ward in the next few weeks. One girl, Tiffany, is here living with her young daughter while her parents live in Cincinnati, Ohio. Well if you remember, President and Sister Beck are from there. So we called them to see if any of their kids could give Tiffany a ride to church. Amazingly, we told them Tiffany's address and it just so happened that the home she would be staying at was in the Beck's home ward! As a matter of fact it was right down the street! She was going to go to church with them, but Sister Beck's daughter never called her... darn... Quite a coincidence though eh?? Nah...

I've made a decision that I am going to prayerfully consider a topic each week to write a talk about. This week the topic that came to my mind for some reason was Living Worthy to be the Giver. I don't have it with me but I thought it was cool. I wrote about being worthy to be the giver by being worthy of Priesthood authority and being worthy of promptings from the Holy Ghost. I asked the question of: Am I a hinderment, or instrument for the work of God? and Who from the Book of Mormon is an example of a hinderment? An example of an instrument? Of course... my answer for the hinderment was found in Mosiah 27, Alma the Younger. As I sought to find an answer for the instrument, my mind turned to Mosiah 28 and Alma 29, Alma the Younger. I thought it was cool because at times we may fall short, we will make mistakes, but because of the atonement of Jesus Christ there is always hope for us to come out on top and become an instrument in the hands of the Lord. Alma the Younger was one of the vilest of sinners, and on the flip side, one of the most powerful missionaries. That's the gist of my talk. Of course a few testimonies here and there and personal experiences/stories but you get the flow of it...

I hope you have a phenomenal week! I don't know if you've seen any of the Christmas cards yet from family members and some ward members... But you will have a few coming soon. Just you wait. :)

I love you very much. Thanks for everything. It'll be weird to hear your voices in less than three weeks. haha Hopefully I'll have mine back by then!

Love,

Elder Colton Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment