Hi family!
Sisters, it's so good to hear from each of you. I'm sorry I've been such a slacker on writing letters. I wrote a couple to you this week. Mom, I am a sinner for how much I haven't conversed with you as well. I want you to know how much I love and appreciate you. I've taken for granted how fantastic my childhood was with you and I want you to know that I am so thankful for you, your love, your support, and your testimony. You are such an example to me. Thanks. Madison I never had Brother Burton for seminary but I did know who he was because I was friends with his sons. He's a great guy. I'm excited for everyone and the events coming up this school year!
Update on the shoulder: Surgery on Tuesday went well. I'll be honest dad I remember talking to you but I have no idea what either of us said. In all reality I don't have the greatest recollection of anything that transpired that day. The nerve block was the weirdest feeling in the world! For 20 hours after surgery there was no feeling from halfway down my neck to the tips of my fingers. I woke up the first night frantic because I thought my bandages were too tight and there was no circulation in any of my arm. Sleeping in the recliner was made easy because of a good friend named Oxycodone (Percocet). That stuff KNOCKS ME OUT! I kept on it every four hours during the day but to be honest the pain was nothing like when I got my wisdom teeth out. The nerve block helped a lot with that and I guess it would have been hard for them to do one of those for my jaw... I might have lost feeling of my entire head. hmm... Anyway, I was anticipating severe pain for the next one to two months like they told me but I haven't had a single pain pill in 36 hours. It's truly a miracle! I'm so grateful for the prayers from everyone. They are answered! I know that to be true once again from another modern day miracle in my life. Mike and Paula James, and Paula's parents, Billy and June Brown, have been the best! Billy is almost 90 years old and still gets out 3-4 days a week building houses. I won't lie as great as they are to be around, I really don't want to be there. I've read like 1/4 of Jesus the Christ, watched most the church produced videos including the Preach My Gospel, District 1 and 2 dvds, taken some good naps, worked on a puzzle that is a picture of Christ painted by Greg Olson, and played a couple games of yahtzee and scrabble. President Taylor and Sister Taylor actually came over and hung out for a bit a few days ago and played a couple games of scrabble with us. Funny story, when he walked in and we were playing I thought I was going to get chastised but he just sat down, asked how I was doing, and played along. It was so encouraging and soothing for me! I seriously love them so much! I hope to talk to them later today and get permission to go to Zone Leader Council tomorrow. They also didn't think that I would be able to make it through three hours of church on Sunday but I went anyway and felt so good that I stayed the whole three hours! It was fun to see all the people from the Country Gables and Campobello wards. It's been such a blessing to stay in the same place for my entire mission!
I watched a talk by John Bytheway where he talked about the heroes from the Book of Mormon. The Nephi's, Jacobs, Almas, Ammons, Aarons, Moroni's, Mormons, and Helamans are much better role models than those that are generally looked up to in this age. I also recently read a talk by President Monson about his personal hall of fame. He started off talking about the Yankees. This isn't the reason I like the talk. He talked about the prestigious baseball "Hall of Fame" and the types of players that make it there. He likened it to us by asking “who are the people in our own personal halls of fame?” Who are the heroes of our lives that have made it there? I think of my family, friends, scout leaders, coaches, and other role models that have influenced me for the better. I've started to make a list of those people in my life that are in my hall of fame. Dad I know you do something similar but I would encourage everyone else to do the same! It's fun to realize as we look back upon life those people that have had powerful impacts on us.
Well the church is true. Miracles occur. I think that I will be back in my area within the next couple days. That's the plan at least!
I love you and I'm grateful for all you do. Please send my love and appreciation to all the family and friends that have been praying for my recovery.
Love,
Elder Mouritsen
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment