Hi all!
It was a great Thanksgiving here. It's been cold though, a whopping 70-75 degrees during the day. Last Monday we played some flag football. A few elders got sunburned. It's real tough here... Hopefully I will get some sun today! :) For Thanksgiving we had a district breakfast in the morning, went to a dinner with the Owens family at 3, and then another dinner with the Capuano family at 5. We definitely ate mucho grande amounts of food and haven't been running it off haha. The holiday season destroys a missionary’s hope of staying in shape.
It was a great Thanksgiving here. It's been cold though, a whopping 70-75 degrees during the day. Last Monday we played some flag football. A few elders got sunburned. It's real tough here... Hopefully I will get some sun today! :) For Thanksgiving we had a district breakfast in the morning, went to a dinner with the Owens family at 3, and then another dinner with the Capuano family at 5. We definitely ate mucho grande amounts of food and haven't been running it off haha. The holiday season destroys a missionary’s hope of staying in shape.

Thanksgiving is great and all but when it comes to covering a YSA ward, where a majority of the students (a.k.a investigators and members) go home, it can be quite slow. We spent a lot of time with other missionaries in their areas, planning out our Zone Vision for 2012, and working on our stake report that we presented on Sunday. When Elder Duncan of the 70 came a few weeks ago he presented an idea to "Geo-Code" the wards in our mission. This means to divide the ward into small sections and then categorize the less active members, part member families, un-baptized children, prospective elders, investigators, etc. in each section. That way when we go to a certain section of the map and an appointment falls through, we will know exactly who to go and visit during the open time. Elder Duncan said that if he could he would go down to the City of Phoenix officials and tell them to make it illegal for Mormon missionaries to knock on doors. We proposed this whole "Geo-Code" idea to the stake presidency and they loved it. Following the meeting they got called the stake clerk and the process is going to begin soon. Hopefully it helps the work progress. The members are definitely the best way to find people to teach. President Monson also has said that there is no substitute for a member-oriented missionary program and it works wherever we try it. The two wards that already have a "geo-code" are the two highest baptizing English wards in the zone so it already shows to have been successful.So transfer news came today. I bet you can guess where I will be going. Yup! Staying right here! I'm pretty stoked about it. There is a chance that we will be taking over a family ward as well as the YSA. That would be pretty awesome. I've wanted to cover one for a while now. It's going to be a great Christmas! (Pictures of transfer day)
I've been reading in the Book of Mormon student manual recently. It's got some amazing quotes from general authorities and really helps me to understand the stories and application in the Book of Mormon. One that stuck out to me was by Elder Neal A. Maxwell, "...it matters very little what people think of us, but it matters very much what we think of Him [Jesus Christ]. It matters very little, too, who others say we are; what matters is who we say Jesus is." It seems that the life, name, purpose, and plan of the Savior has largely been pushed to the way side of the broad path of the world. I read Alma 26 this morning and it stuck out to me just how much Ammon's experience has been like mine and also in part, the Saviors. I'll list a few. Ammon says he didn't know he would receive so many blessings when he left the city of Zarahemla. I felt the same way when I left the city of Kaysville. Ammon tells us to count those blessings and give thanks for them. This past week has been a great week for counting those blessings. Ammon has felt it a blessing to have just been an instrument in the Lord's hand. I have felt the same. He helped thousands to rejoice and "gather to the garners." Elder Bednar has taught us that those "garners" are temples. I had an awesome experience going to the temple with the James family. I had dinner with them Sunday by the way. I love that family. Ammon taught the truth and helped to resolve misconceptions about the church and the Nephites. I have found many people who hate us and want to belittle us, but others that are humble enough to listen and change their lives. i.e. Mark Coleman. "Many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will sing to His praise forever" - Ammon. I've also seen some amazing miracles which are definite blessings from the Lord. Ammon couldn't say the smallest part of that which he felt. I feel the same way at times. He found out that repentance, faith, hard work, and continued prayers to God helped him to gain knowledge and help others to be brought to repentance. Ammon was laughed at for going on a mission to the Lamanites by his brethren. I was laughed at for going so close to home on my mission. At times he was depressed and wanted to go home but received comfort and patience from the Lord to endure his trials. Ammon was spit upon, and smote upon the cheek (by Lamanites). I was too, by Lamanites. haha. He traveled from house to house. Was rejected. Street contacted. Entered homes. Taught. Was cast out of homes, mocked but was delivered each time. He witnessed the sincerity of his converts. He was a wanderer in a strange land.
I'm grateful for the Book of Mormon and the power and application that come from it into our own lives. It teaches us that there is always hope in the arms of the Savior. I'm grateful for Him and I hope that I can continue to strengthen my relationship with him. This is a great time of year and I hope that all of you remember what it is all about!
I love you all and I'm thankful for each of you and the elias' you have been for me in my life.
Love,
Elder Mouritsen

No comments:
Post a Comment