Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Monday, December 5, 2011

November 29 - December 5, 2011: Agency...and one of the best weeks yet!

Hello!

Holy cow sounds like it was a crazy week up there! The damage received to homes reminds me of the hail storm we got down here over a year ago. Roofing companies are still backed up to this day with homes needing new roofs. Insurance companies were pounded. Hopefully everything works out. I love to hear about all of the service that was rendered from members and friends in the area. Sunday is a day of service. What better way to spend the Sabbath! Thanks for giving me a great example to apply to teaching people how to keep the Sabbath Day holy.

The week here has been one of the best of my entire mission. I'll give you an outline of what I'm going to say. 1. We took over Cactus View, the family ward that meets in our building. 2. Had an awesome lesson with two extremely analytical girls who were trying to catch us in our words. 3. We were passed the sacrament by Mark Coleman, recent convert of two weeks. 4. Met a girl for the first time on Thursday. Invited her to be baptized. Friday, we had another lesson on the commandments. Saturday, she came to the temple lights with the ward. Sunday, she came to church. She bore here testimony in sacrament meeting. Next Saturday, she will be getting baptized. AMAZING story. 5. Mark Coleman also bore his testimony about the "visceral" feeling of the Holy Ghost that has come into his life and helped him to gain a testimony. 6. etc.

And that’s about it! Hope you have a great week!








Just kidding...

First off, the two analytical girls. Every Friday night we have a lesson and it usually consists of questions all about myths, misconceptions, and biased people's opinions they've heard at one time or another. Prior to this appointment, we gave them the assignment of reading the first 8 chapters in the Book of Mormon. They read the intro, testimony of the witnesses, testimony of Joseph Smith, and the eight chapters. Right from the get-go I knew that it was going to be a "throw down." I remember saying a silent prayer to calm me down and help me to use the scriptures in my answers to their questions as my adrenaline began to rush. They then proceeded to ask questions about every little thing that stood out to them from their readings. Most of the questions were trying to find loopholes to prove us wrong and get us to change our ways. Each time, we responded with evidence from the scriptures to prove to them that it is true. When it came down to it, I had to interrupt them by saying that this discussion is going to get us no where without you sincerely praying to know if it's true. You can study the Book of Mormon all day long, even logically prove it to be true, but that won't do anything until a spiritual conversion occurs. They had questions like, "why would God tell Nephi to kill Laban if one of God's commandments is to not kill?" A great question. Because of recent studies from the Book of Mormon student manual, we were able to answer clearly. One of them even responded, "holy cow that was a very smooth answer which makes a lot of sense." Other questions like, "what is the time period of the Book of Mormon compared to books in the Bible?" "What was contained on the plates of brass?" "What changes have been made to the Book of Mormon since the original one was translated by Joseph Smith?" "How did Moroni visit Joseph if he was dead and had died prior to the Savior's resurrection?" To be honest, I don't remember my answers. But I do remember the way I felt and I was spitting out answers that I had no idea I had. It was a great feeling. One of the girls went from being very stubborn to nearly convinced. She's still against organized religion though because of some previous experiences. Upon leaving, we felt very good about how it went especially because of the spirit that guided the discussion. They will read the next 8 chapters in the Book of Mormon for next time.

Next, sacrament meeting was one of the best of my entire mission. We had four investigators there. Mark Coleman was the second to get up. He talked about how grateful he is to now have God in his life. He said that the reason he knows this is true is because of the visceral feeling from the Spirit on a constant basis. He is so amazing. All he wants to do is serve. He talked about the first time we came into his apartment and told him that God loves him. He said that was the moment he found out what he was missing. Katie Redd, our investigator we met for the first time on Thursday, also got up to bear her testimony. We were amazed! She talked about how grateful she was that we were able to come to her door, talk to her about the gospel, and help her to find what she has really been missing in her life. It was such a good feeling to hear that from the pulpit. Our new relief society president has been an amazing fellowshipper for Katie as well. As I said before, we met Katie Thursday, taught her again on Friday by going through the baptismal interview questions, she came to the temple on Saturday, church on Sunday, and will be baptized on Saturday the 10th. Most prepared person I've ever met in my life. She has 5-6 family-friends that are members of the church from her home town of Bullhead, Arizona and has loved their church ever since she was little. She just has never taken the step of baptism. One of her friends told her to go to mormon.org and research a little. She did so and talked to the missionaries on the chat room. Those missionaries then referred her to us. We just stopped by on Thursday because our other appointment cancelled and she just happened to walk up the stairs when we were leaving. The Lord is definitely in this work! I love it.

In my study this week in 2 Nephi 4 I read a quote by Dallin H. Oaks about overcoming sins and weaknesses. It stood out to me a lot for some reason.

"Perhaps these persons, as the saying goes, were 'born that way.' But what does that even mean? Does it mean that persons with susceptibilities or strong tendencies have no choice, no free agency in these matters? Our doctrine teaches us otherwise. Regardless of a person's susceptibility or tendency, his will is unfettered. His free agency is unqualified. It is his freedom that is impaired...We are all responsible for the exercise of our free agency...Most of us are born with thorns in the flesh, some more visible, some more serious than others. We all seem to have susceptibilities to one disorder or another, but whatever our susceptibilities, we have the will and the power to control our thoughts and our actions. This must be so. God has said that he holds us accountable for what we do and what we think, so our thoughts and our actions must be controllable by our agency...We need to learn how to live so that a weakness that is mortal will not prevent us from achieving the goal that is eternal...The efforts we expend in overcoming any inherited weakness build a spiritual strength that will serve us throughout eternity."

Sure we all may have certain temptations and sins that easily beset us but that does not mean that we are forced to give in. If this were true, it would mean God would go against his original plan of agency, and He would cease to be God. His plan will not be frustrated. This plan gives me great hope in knowing that I do have certain susceptibilities but that I'm not forced to fall. And through the atonement I can always stand back up taller than I did before. I know that Christ is my personal Savior. I also know that He wasn't able to perform the miracles that He just did because He was the Son of God, but because He lived up to every commandment and covenant He had made to the Father. What is stopping us from reaching such trust from God? I'm grateful for the atonement that is there for me to "become like Him" because He loves me and wants me back. I'm grateful for a plan that provides me to leave my family for two years so that I can help others be with theirs for eternity. I love this work and this gospel!

I love you all as well. I bought a sweet Christmas tie today that I'm going to wear to Zone Leader Council tomorrow. It's bombin'. (New word from down here...maybe up there too.) Thank you so much for all you do. I hope all is going well there with the damage. I love your attitude about it being a blessing to have not been hit again. Many people would curse God and ask why such a thing would happen. That doesn't get anyone there. I think this is why Paul prayed that he is thankful for thorns in his side or burdens on his shoulders. He also prayed that his "thorn in the flesh" would depart from him. The Lord replied, "My grace is sufficient for thee, for my strength is made perfect in weakness." I don't think that would have been the response if Paul had had the original attitude of murmuring when trials came into his life.

Once again, I love you. I love the Christmas season. It's weird to say I will have my third phone call with you in less than three weeks.

Have a Merry Christmas and please be safe.

Love,

Elder Colt Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment