Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 13-19, 2012: Teaching people, not lessons


Hello there Mouritsen family!

Sounds like a good week! There is a member in the YSA here who got a job up in Draper and has volunteered to take a package home for me. I'm trying to get some stuff together to send. That way I won't have to spend $30-$45 next month trying to send a bunch of stuff through the flat rate process. I will give him your number and he will probably come by sometime next week.

Not much has happened this past week. We had a neat experience with setting a baptism date with Kolt. I've never taken the route that we took before. We have been putting a large focus on strictly teaching the doctrines of Christ in all the lessons. Whether it be the Restoration, Plan of Salvation, or Commandments - the Doctrines of Christ are the main focus, and the other info is just to show HOW we can strengthen faith, repent, prepare for baptism/confirmation and endure to the end. Even though we had been over it before with Kolt, we felt like it would be good to just go over those five principles in more detail. As we did, the spirit was very strong in helping us to know where to take the lesson. Elder Brothers still has those "new-missionary jitters" (Leah those "jitters" are just a way of life, remember an experience of getting to the plate might just be preparing you for future "jittery" experiences that you will know how to conquer) and thinks that he has to focus strictly on our lesson plan, as opposed to focusing on the needs of the person. I'm a firm believer in creating a plan for the lessons, but then going away from those plans as the concerns and questions come up. We came to the principle of baptism. I was reluctant to commit him to a date because we had invited him in each lesson for the past two weeks. We didn't want him to feel like we were pressuring him into it (though we know it's necessary) and then lose interest all together. Oddly, I felt like the spirit told me to commit him to another date. We prepped him regarding the baptismal interview that he would need to show him that he would even be ready for baptism. Though he has felt that he needs to read the entire Book of Mormon before being ready for baptism, we let him know that all he really needs to be able to do is answer the baptismal interview questions. I looked at him and said, "Ya know Kolt there will actually be a missionary holding a baptism interview on April 1st, would you prepare yourself to be interviewed on that day?" He responded yes. I then ripped out the sheet from my planner that had the questions on it. I handed it to him and told him to look over it. If there was anything he didn't understand we would teach him about it in the coming weeks so that he could be ready. The only question he had was regarding tithing. I felt like he finally realized that he really didn't really need to know that much doctrinally, but just needed a testimony of the gospel. I noticed his countenance change as he came to that realization and said, "Kolt, we will be holding a baptismal service on the 7th of April. After being interviewed, would you prepare yourself for that date to be baptized." His response came after a few moments of pondering with, "Well, I guess I'm getting interviewed anyways. So why not?" There is no greater sight than that of watching someone change in just a few weeks because of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is a very visceral feeling, to put it in Mark Coleman's words.

Yesterday we had a cool experience in our ward council meeting with the Sahuaro Ranch ward. We have been really struggling to find, teach, and of course baptize in that ward. As of right now we have one investigator. We have put a huge focus on working with the members, mainly the less active and part member families, to find those who are searching. When we got here, the ward had a list of about 8 people who were still living in the ward that were part member families. In our efforts to seek them out, we now have a list of 33 part member families. Many of which don't want much to do with the church but the bishop was extremely happy to see that we had helped him find them. We have also really cleaned up the roster in an attempt to develop trust with the active members and help them in reaching out to the less active. Each week we come to the meeting with names of those we have found that have moved out of the ward. I know it sounds bad, but it has made them very happy to find out. Next, we "geo-coded" the ward. The clerks haven't really known how to go about doing that so when they heard that we had already done it they were happy to receive all our information and plug it in to MLS. Yesterday, the bishop vocally thanked us in front of the entire ward council. He said that he had actually emailed what we had done to help him to the missionaries that were serving from his ward. He said that they should do the same to help the bishops that they are serving. In just two months, we have really felt a big change in the ward in regards to missionary work. When we first got here, we did not feel welcome and frequently got the cold shoulder from members. They also asked us if we could take the entire meeting on Easter to speak about the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and then on the crucifixion/resurrection. My topic is the atonement. I see that as evidence that they are beginning to trust us and desire to help us with the work. Bishop has also expressed interest in having meetings with us to give us names to go and visit. The sad thing is that the names he gave yesterday, were names that we already knew a lot about. They don't have much desire in progression. We hope and pray that the work will pick up soon. We do have one investigator, a nine year old from a less active family. She actually came to church by herself yesterday. I'm amazed at how strong she is. Youth will need to be that strong if not stronger to be able to forge through the persecution that will come in the coming months and years of their lives.

Thanks for all that you do. If you have any cool stories that involve the atonement they would be greatly appreciated. I have some ideas, but more info is always needed!

I love you all! Have a great week. Get prepared for conference!

Love,

Elder Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment