Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 20-26, 2012: The Lord's hands are in the details.


Hey family,

I won't lie my heart sank a few notches when you said that Kyler won't be there for my homecoming. That'll be a good experience for him though and hopefully all goes well. It sounds like it's been a good week back there!

Dylan’s been emailing me the past couple of weeks. I seriously admire him a lot. His strength and testimony are very powerful. As I read through his email, I couldn't help but notice that the phrase, "the feeling is enough" is also very apparent in his life. Especially in tough, very tough, decisions, the feeling is necessary to confirm what needs to happen. He is a great example of one who seeks the Lord's help and then acts.

This has been a pretty good week. Things continue to come out of the woodwork. We got in contact with the Oaks family, second cousins to Dallin H. Oaks, this week. We hope to teach and baptize the 12 year old daughter.

Our lesson with Kolt this week was fantastic. He is so ready. He shared with us his experience of finding the gospel. I'll summarize it the best that I can. He just graduated from high school in 2011 and was pondering what he wanted to study in college. His first choice was psychology, because apparently he has a Jedi's ability to interpret dreams. Next was to be a pharmacist. And lastly, at the very back of his mind, was music. He played a little bit of tuba while in high school but didn't think there would be much of an opportunity to take it into college. The decision drew nearer, and he realized he didn't really have adequate funds unless he received some help from scholarships or grants. He knew the jazz band/music professor at GCC a little bit and talked to him a bit about what he should decide to study. The music professor had heard him play a little bit and invited him to join the jazz band but to not focus on the tuba, but the saxophone. Well new saxophones cost around $5,000-$6,000 so Kolt didn't know how that was going to work. Little by little, things just started falling into place. His spot on the jazz band bred a scholarship that required him to take 20 credits. Some other funds were given by other sources and all of a sudden Kolt's school was entirely paid for. When he felt like nothing else good could happen, his teacher then offered him a very nice, but old, saxophone for $1,300. Kolt couldn't believe it! Of course he took the offer. Because of his focus on music, he became great friends with a member of the church named Melissa. One day after practice, they decided to go to lunch. The topic of religion came up and Kolt joked around a little bit about religion in general. Melissa invited him to church. She obtained a Book of Mormon from us and gave it to him. He read a few pages. Then he met with us. We did what we could to invite him to Christ. He felt the spirit, came to church, made changes in his life that are in line with gospel principles, and is now getting baptized on April 7th. After sharing this experience with us he made the comment that the Lord had answered a prayer of his heart while he didn't know he was even offering the prayer. It has been amazing to see him recognize the Lord's hand in his life as he now looks back and sees just how much he has been led and guided, though at the time being oblivious to inspiration from God.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. His hands are in the details. I'm grateful for that and I hope that we can recognize more fully in our lives just how much his hand has been there.
This week I have focused each of my studies on the atonement of Jesus Christ and the doctrine behind it. I read the account in Talmage's Jesus The Christ of the agony that took place during the crucifixion. It became very real to me. It had never occurred to me before that even after suffering all that he did in the garden, after being strengthened by the angel that was sent from the presence of God, after asking, "my God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?", the suffering from Gethsemane then recurred, only this time without the help of an angel to bear him up. Through experiences on my mission, good and bad, some far too sacred to even relate, I have felt the power of His atoning sacrifice and I know it's real. I read the talk by Elder Bednar in this month's Ensign and I like how he talks about how it makes a bad man good and a good man better. The atonement isn't only for the sinners, but for the righteous. It is the power by which even the righteous are given adequate strength to break the cords/bands by which they are bound. The experience of Nephi, Alma and Amulek, and even Nephi and Lehi in the book of Helaman, show that when we pray, we shouldn't pray that the power of the atonement change our circumstances, but that we be given the necessary strength to be made equal to our circumstances. My prayers have changed since I've studied up on this principle. It has been my experience while teaching people, that people often doubt the power of the atonement when they pray for deliverance from certain circumstances and don't receive relief. If God answered every single prayer of every single person in the world, there would be no growth. Every trial and negative circumstance would be removed. In a sense, agency would be halted. God is there to give us strength, but He's not about to hinder us from experiences that which will make us stronger.

I love you all and I'm grateful for your strength in the doctrines of Christ. You all inspire me.

Love,

Elder Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment