Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Monday, April 16, 2012

March 27 - April 3, 2012: General Conference


What’s up family?

Fantastic letter. Yes, this has been a very bittersweet week. Thursday in our weekly planning session, I had to pull out my last planner that was made by you back home. Specifically it's the one made by Bailee. I saved it for the last. Maybe it's because it has a gigantic picture of the temple on it.

Sounds like things are great back there. I hope you got my package from the member that moved up to Utah. He said it got a little wet during transportation but hopefully it wasn't too bad. I will probably be sending a few more home in the next couple weeks. I have acquired a lot of goodies. I got a text from Mark Coleman on Friday saying that he was on his way up to watch the Saturday afternoon and Priesthood sessions. I was amazed! I told him to visit with you but I don't think he got my text and you were in Idaho anyways. He is going to take us out to lunch next week. I love the wards here. Last week for our FHE activity the Phoenix North YSA came to a barbeque in the park with our ward. It was awesome to see them all again. There are several groups that are planning on coming up to my "Return and Report" to the ward on May 27th. The James' are planning on being there also. A few members of the Phx No YSA bishopric might come as well. It will be neat.

Last week was a great week for teaching. We had a lot of great lessons and found a couple great new people to teach. They all came from part member families. It's funny how right when you think there is nothing left that you can possibly do, if you but do just a bit more, the Lord opens the windows of heaven and pours out blessings. Even through a couple of faith demoting experiences, Kolt is enduring well and will be baptized this Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Example; he was on his way to our lesson at the church and his brake pad fell off. :/ His rotor was scraped down like crazy and he ended up having to drive home by using the emergency brake. He's fine though and continues to have spiritual experiences which propel him through to the waters. We had a very powerful lesson with him last night. We had planned to teach about the baptismal covenant and how it applies to the sacrament. That ended up only lasting about ten or fifteen minutes before it turned into a testimony meeting where we shared experiences and stories that have built our faith and encouraged our progression.

General Conference was fantastic wasn't it? I think I say this every time but it's like the Super Bowl or World Series for missionaries (if the Yankees are playing). I loved Elder Holland's talk once again. I felt like it was speaking directly to some of my recent converts. One convert in particular had always questioned why she didn't find the gospel until later in her life. Why wasn't she one to have been born into the covenant. We told her that it was because Heavenly Father trusted her enough to put her in a situation where he knew that she would accept it when she heard it. Elder Holland made the comment that whether you receive it early or late you will still receive the same wage. The blessings and potential are there for all. I also liked Elder Nelson's talk. "If a printing shop exploded, could it create a dictionary? And then could that dictionary produce other dictionaries?" There is so much evidence that there is a God and that He loves us. SOOOOO much evidence.
Had a pretty neat experience visiting a less active member this week. Her name is Kim. We had never been able to get into contact with her in the past. On Tuesday night we had a few minutes to kill so we decided to go and stop by. As I was about to knock on the window, a hand appeared on the other side of the door and peeled back the curtain. I heard a faint "hello?" The only way I can describe the voice is to say it sounded like Wendy from the movie Hook when she is at the top of the stairs and says, "Hello boy." Yeah, it scared me for a minute. I jumped back and introduced myself. She came out and sat down at a table that was on her front porch. We could tell she was a smoker and wasn't active AT ALL in the church. As we talked we found out she was baptized in the early 90s, still believes in the church and has children that have families which are active in the church. It was really hard to get any sort of conversation going so it came to that point in the visit where we just share a spiritual thought, say a prayer, and leave. My thought turned to Ether 12:27. First, I talked about how God's hand is in the details of our lives. Sometimes things happen to us that we don't understand, but in the end we see that we grew substantially from the trial/experience we were given. Before I could even read the scripture, her eyes got dark. She cut me off and smartly said, "Even if you have a gun held to your head and you are forced to take the blame for a crime you didn't commit?" I looked at her puzzled with dozens of questions running through my mind. The only thing I could say was, "Uhh, what happened?" She said that her son (non-member) was cornered by a group of "thugs" (as she puts it) and with a gun pointed at his head, forced him to take the blame for a crime he didn't commit otherwise they would kill him and his entire family. He followed their command. She then told us that this had just happened five days earlier. Her eyes got teary and she looked up at heaven with a clenched fist saying that she was mad at God because of what had happened. My brain was spinning! Finally my thoughts focused and I don't know where it came from, but I started talking about how God gives us experiences such as this to humble us, and His "grace is sufficient for all" who humble themselves before Him. I shared the experience of Tom Hughes, who also was falsely accused in jail. I talked about how Tom had an amazing experience, gaining a testimony while there and teaching the others in prison. Suddenly her countenance changed. She looked at me, and as if to have just scratched the winning lottery ticket, and said, "I have actually been praying for years that my son would find God and develop a faith in Him. Do you think that this could actually be an answer to my prayer?" I hoped and prayed that it was because I told her that I would have to say that was the case. Her tears turned from tears of anger and hate to tears of hope, faith, and joy. I asked her if she would like a priesthood blessing for comfort. She agreed. Elder Brothers gave her the blessing and she was in tears through the whole thing. As we left, she smiled and thanked us many times for helping her change her perspective on the experience. It was one of those "tender mercy of the Lord" experiences. Hopefully things go well.

Lastly, I've talked a lot about an investigator named Preston who was supposed to get baptized a few months ago but has to wait a little while to work some things out. His member girlfriend broke off their engagement. He was pretty distraught. He called saying he needed to receive some answers to questions from us. At about 9:30, he came by and we talked in the parking lot. His girlfriend had told him that they can't get married because they each have to be perfect before they go into it. He wanted to know the doctrine behind that excuse. We helped him to know that that was actually the opposite of truth and that we will be far from perfect and need to work through our imperfections before, and after marriage. He went to conference with many questions in mind. He let us know that they were all answered. His testimony is unshakeable.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:
There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone.
You are as happy as you are obedient.
The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real.
Our potential is incomprehensible.
Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge. (Just look at the apostles and prophets). Callings are seldom convenient...they come first.
It's a choice to be happy and to get along.
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity." We are saved by grace, after all we can do.
Attitude is everything.
The church is true.

I love you all very much!

Elder Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment