Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

December 20-26, 2011: Christmas Traditions and Santa

It was good to talk to you yesterday! Everybody is definitely growing up. Thanks for being prepared with all the great questions. That always seems to get a lot out of the short time that we are allotted to speak. I distinctly remember last Mother's day at the end of the call thinking, "oh my, the next time I hear their voices will be in like 7 months!" Those 7 months flew by. (Little did I know that I would be speaking to you dad on August 23, haha I don't remember much though). That makes me wonder just how much faster the next five are going to fly by.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what makes Christmas so different, yet similar, to one spent back home. On the mission there are no family parties, gift exchanges, traditions such as; stockings on mom and dad's bed Christmas morning, eating cinnamon rolls Christmas day, going to Dingle, the Christmas Eve party at Grandma and Grandpa Mouritsen’s, Christmas Day party at Grandma and Grandpa Figgins, not having school, making ornaments, gingerbread houses, snow, etc. There is none of that to look forward to while on the mission. But for some weird reason it doesn't really effect the feeling that is present. The feeling during the season is still the same and that alone causes it to be a good one. It's true what the Grinch said when he found out that Christmas doesn't really come from a store, but that it is much, much more.

There was a pretty cool experience this week that I will share. A young man by the name of Darie (pronounced Dar-ee-A) used to date a girl that lived above us when we lived in our old apartment. We talked to him a few times but each time produced the same results. He always found a way to make fun of us or degrade us in some form or another. We tried to avoid him from then on. Well those contacts with him were about 8-9 months ago. This week the family ward elders got a referral for him. Because he is YSA age, they passed him over to us. We visited and found out that he isn't dating her anymore. It turns out he wants to surround himself with good people. He loves the Book of Mormon. Believes Joseph Smith is a prophet. And now has a baptism date for January 21. It's amazing how line upon line, precept upon precept the Lord prepares those who you never thought would get to that point.

So I told you a little bit about Christmas Eve. We dressed up as Santas and the other elders in our apartment were the elves. We then went and delivered the Christmas packages to all the missionaries in the zone. It was fun to barge into their apartments and freak the crap out of them. I'll send some pictures.

Well that’s about it! Thanks again for the presents. I love you all and I hope that you have a great Christmas break.

Love,

Elder Mouritsen




No comments:

Post a Comment