Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 30, 2012: Life interrupted

Hey Fam,

So this week has been much better than the past weeks here in Peoria. We've placed a huge effort on finding through the less-active and building member trust by helping out the Bishop with this area. We've been keeping track of all those who have moved, have no desire to be contacted, or want to start coming back. Some previous missionaries really burned out the members and we've been doing what we can to build it back up. We think it is working. The Bishop handed us a big list of people who he thinks need a visit from us. Sunday night we visited them and found a lot of good information for him. In helping him with this, we have also found many more people to teach. I know that the Lord puts us in places for specific reasons and often times we have no idea what those reasons are until after the fact. On one occasion, we were checking up on some potential investigators that were tracted into by missionaries around six months ago. We knocked on the door and a young, scruffy lookin' guy answered with his toddler daughter. We talked for a bit and at first he seemed pretty hostile towards organized religion in general. But as we talked further and sought for some understanding, we found out that he was raised in Utah, baptized at 8, but had since fallen away due to some bad experiences. It wasn't a normal door step conversation. We could tell that the spirit really took over and guided the questions and answers to best suit this man. His wife came to the door after a bit and we chatted a little about the Book of Mormon and ended up asking if we could come back and help them understand what the purpose of organized religion is. I won't lie their positive response was quite shocking. We went back the next day and taught about the restoration of the gospel. It was cool to see them guess what the next principle was going to be about before we would even begin teaching it. It is definitely true that there are many out there who are seeking for the truth, but know not where to find it. It was cool to see their countenance change from, "No we hate any organized religion" to "Okay well maybe we will come check it out on an upcoming Sunday." We are continuing to teach them and help them understand truth when they hear it.

So that Spanish family I told you about in a recent email... The Godinez family. We passed them over to the Spanish elders last weekend and had a good lesson in doing so. They have since been committed to be baptized. It took a little over a week. One of the Spanish missionaries who is teaching them is Elder Falconer, a former assistant to the president and very good missionary. He said that they are probably the most solid and elect family he has ever taught. It felt good to be used as an instrument in the Lord's hands to find someone searching for the truth. I can see the father of the family speaking in general conference one day. They are amazing.

This week my studies have been more focused and beneficial than at any other time in my mission. I don't really understand it but I think it is because I look forward every single day to learning something new from the scriptures and finding cool "key learnings" to help better my teaching. I will share one that was brought to my attention. A missionary recently talked about how we are all like angels. We bring messages of truth to those who are in need. I wanted to study this idea further. In doing so I found scriptures such as Hebrews 1:13-14, 2 Nephi 32:2-3, D&C 7:6, and D&C 42:6. Hebrews says Angels are ministering spirits who minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation. Do we not? Nephi says those who have received the Holy Ghost can speak with the tongue of angels. Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost. They speak the words of Christ. Do we not? In Doctrine and Covenants section 7, John the Beloved is made a flaming fire and ministering angel for those who shall be heirs of salvation who dwell on the earth. As are we. And finally, D&C 42 talks about how we go forth, two by two, declaring the word like unto angels of God. As I thought further, I thought about other angels who have come from the presence of God to declare messages to mortals. The angel Gabriel spoke to Zacharias, Elizabeth, Mary, and Joseph to announce the birth of two babies, John and Jesus Christ. The angel Moroni came to Joseph Smith 3 times in one night, once more the next day, and once a year for the next four years concerning the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. An angel came to Laman and Lemuel to assure them the Lord has power to deliver Laban into their hands. One came to Alma the Younger and the sons of Mosiah. John the Baptist restored the Aaronic Priesthood to the prophet Joseph. Peter, James, and John restored the Melchizedek. Elijah restored the sealing keys. Moses, the keys of the gathering of Israel. Elias the keys of the dispensation of the gospel of Abraham. There are probably many others. One key element to each of these visitations, the mortal receivers were interrupted from their regular, routine life and changed. If we are like unto angels, then why are we so afraid to interrupt others’ lives and help them change from a regular, routine life to a life of answers and celestial living. I'm sure glad that Moroni didn't come to Joseph and say, "Oh shoot...he's praying. I better come back another time." Or the angel Gabriel to Mary, "Oh...she's filling up her pale of water...I better not disturb her." Or, "Hmmm...Alma seems pretty busy destroying the church, I probably shouldn't interrupt him while he goes about his 'regular' and destructive routine." No, it wasn't like that. Of course, people have agency. But we do to. The scriptures are clear in helping us to know we are as angels -and angels interrupt people’s lives to help them change for the better. As missionaries, we must be bold and talk to EVERYONE even if they are working on their car, walking their dog, riding their bike, building a space ship, etc. Each person that decides to join the church is interrupted from their normal life and changed it for a better life. This has been proven to me many times with people I've been able to have contact with.

Well I hope all is going well for you. Things are good here. We set a baptismal date with a YSA age girl last week who was invited to come to FHE with a friend. Hopefully it all works out.

Thanks for all that you do! I love and appreciate your support and letters.

Love,

Elder Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment