Quotes of the week - Sent from Elder Colton Mouritsen

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "absolutes" I've learned on my mission. Some come from one-liner quotes, others are single principles. You will probably recognize some. Here's a few:

"There is no comfort in a growing zone, but no growing in a comfort zone."
"You are as happy as you are obedient."
"The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real."
"Our potential is incomprehensible."
"Submitting to the Father's will, obedience, and righteous actions breed spiritual and even temporal/professional education and knowledge."
"Callings are seldom convenient...they come first."
"It's a choice to be happy and to get along."
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."
“The opportunity of a lifetime can be missed by not seizing it in the lifetime of the opportunity."
"We are saved by grace, after all we can do."
"Attitude is everything."
"The Lord's hands are in the details."
"The church is true."

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Elder Mouritsen's Mission Timeline

Monday, January 23, 2012

January 18-23, 2012: The Roller Coaster (and letter from Mark Coleman)

Hello!

Good to hear from you. Sounds like things are going great back there in K-Town. Sounds like it is going to be a good super bowl! Fill out a guess for me and send the winnings my way. ;) Your mom told me about her experience the night of your dad's memorial. That is so comforting and clear. He's ok. How fun that will be to hear more stories told when we see him again.

I'm going to preface my email by restating something that I wrote about a while ago. I recently listened to a speech given by an EFY speaker named Troy Dunn. It was about how this life is just like a roller coaster. If you think about it, roller coasters are not fun at all unless it picks up speed, goes down, through loops, up steep hills, etc. If you got on a ride and it started climbing up the chain and kept going up and up and up and all of a sudden stopped without ever going down, it wouldn't be worth it at all! Such is life. Often times we find ourselves on top of the world with so many good things going on with the thought that nothing bad could ever happen. But then a trial or challenge comes and our roller coaster hits the downhill. The ups and downs of life definitely provide experience and growth that is necessary for our progression towards our Heavenly Father's kingdom. I'm grateful for the trials in my life that have prepared me for greater trials in the future. My time in Phoenix North was filled with ups and downs but I know from my confirming feelings that the ups definitely outweighed the downs. It is also confirmed to me because the memories that I have of Phoenix North were all positive, powerful, uplifting experiences that have helped me grow tremendously. My last week in Phoenix North, I would say my roller coaster was up. In getting transferred to Peoria, I was filled with many mixed emotions. I felt like I was leaving my family again but I also was excited for the unknown experiences that were ahead. In the first ten days of being here it has been much harder to find people to teach and help progress in the gospel. Elder Brothers isn't used to all the rejection and antagonizing people we come into contact with. For a while, it was really taking a toll on him. I continue to tell him that we just need to find the good in each day and stay optimistic and positive for the days and weeks to come. It seems as if our roller coaster has been down. On Friday, we both were sick of cancellations and no-show appointments from the previous days of the week. We continued to fight through and look forward to an appointment we had Friday night with a girl named Tricia. We have never been able to teach her an actual lesson. Finally, on Friday we were able to do so. We used the introduction to the Book of Mormon as an outline to teach about the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ to the earth. It was a good lesson. The spirit was there. We invited her to be baptized and she accepted for the 11th of February. Following the lesson our spirits were high, we were rejuvenated and excited from the success. Our roller coasters were up! The following day we got a text from a member of the ward saying that Tricia had texted him and asked for a ride to church. No way! We were even more excited! Rarely do investigators ask for their own rides to church especially after only one lesson. Our roller coasters continued to go up. Sunday morning came, we were waiting by the doors to the chapel, greeting people as they came in. The member walked in through the doors, but no Tricia. UGhhh..... We asked him what happened. He said that in between the time of her texting him and church, Tricia had caught the flu. Her wisdom teeth are also coming in and were giving her some grief as well. Ohh man we were so sad... Satan is a bummmm... Our roller coasters were down...

I feel that in such a short time the Lord has taught me an important lesson. This life would not be worth it if it wasn't for the ups and downs. Constant, positive, good experiences (or "ups" on the roller coaster) can't be forced or coerced just as the Holy Ghost can't be forced or coerced. There will always be times in life that the Lord blesses us with that help us keep life in perspective, or in other words help us appreciate the good times. Reading Mark Coleman's email (below) this morning has boosted my spirits and sent my roller coaster up to new heights! I'm so excited for him. He is going to be a phenomenal missionary. I wanted to share his email with you so you could hear the news first hand.

Yesterday in church a man came up to me, shook my hand, and said, "Hey Elder, I know your uncle Trever." I was pretty surprised by the greeting and asked how? He then went on to say that he knew him from his mission. His name is Brother Pearson and he was companions with Justin King and knew Trever from zone conferences and what not. Just thought I would let you know so you could tell him. Small world!

We got a new bishopric in the YSA yesterday also. We didn't know the old one very well but it was sad to see them go. I'm sure the new ones feel a lot like you felt when you got called to the calling. I can't believe how long you have been in there though! Over a year now right? Crazy.

Well thanks for all you do. I really love and appreciate your support and letters. I can't believe how fast time has flown and continues to fly.

I love you.

Elder Colt Mouritsen

Letter from Mark Coleman on 1/20/12.

Hey Elder Mouritsen!

It's Mark Coleman. You might not remember me because it's already been a week since you left and I'm sure you've converted a dozen or more investigators, but I thought I'd share a little bit of news with you. On Sunday, Bishop Grizzle was told that Salt Lake approved my ability to go on a mission. On Tuesday night after Book of Mormon class he gave me the good news when I requested my third update on the goings on. On Thursday, when I gave a talk at the missionary zone conference meeting I blurted it out. I think Elder Buttars was slightly offended I hadn't told him the same day, but I wanted to tell you both at the same time. I thought about trying to get your new number, but before I could tonight, Elder Buttars reminded me that I have your email address!

I've been told to turn in my paperwork by June. I wish to go wherever I am told to, just as I wish to go on the mission because God told me to do so. If I could choose, it would probably be a Spanish speaking mission anywhere that speaks Spanish outside the U.S., I suppose.

I felt elated on Tuesday night when I received the news. I had walked 18 miles on Monday to get my home teachee, Katey Redd her school supplies and go to FHE (I walked to the Bethany Holme Wal Mart from my apartment and back as wells to back home from church after FHE). My feet really hurt, and I was really sore on Tuesday, but after I got the news, I felt great. The girl in my office who gives me a ride to temple on Wednesday is now in college classes and takes the day off, so I considered running to the light rail after work to make it to baptisms on time. I woke up that morning and was too tired. I thought, I'll just go tomorrow when I get a ride. But then another co-worker offered me a ride. Deciding that I'd rather oblige a blessing then my physical comfort I went on Wednesday. I prayed like last week for the strength, and I received it like last week. I walked over 40 miles between Monday and Wednesday and I am no worse for the wear.

While I tell everyone I do it for weight loss, I'll let you in on the secret and tell you that I do it to commune with the spirit. When you are sore and tired, your feet are blistered and hurting, when you can no longer stride normally, but walk like an old man from the delirious state you are in, you find yourself humbled, meager, and weak. When you call upon the spirit in such a state, as long as your actions are righteous, it will carry you. It takes away the temporal pain with spiritual joy. I have no better way to test the spirit then to place myself in a situation where I need the spirit before calling upon it. I find temple night (Wednesday) the easiest day of my walking, even though it follows 2 days of 12 miles worth of walking and should be the hardest. I think that is because my actions are in tune with what the spirit wants of me.

I've also learned a lot about walking and D&C from such endeavors. You should always keep your feet dry, one attorney hikes the Grand Canyon up and down, 25 miles in 10-12 hours. He told me he changes his socks every 6 miles, I will try that soon. A girl who did 'Trek' told me she wore nylons under her socks to prevent blisters. I... will not do that, but perhaps I'll tell my wife or daughter to do so one day! :) I've heard that covering your feet with vaseline or any lubricant helps prevent blisters. I also read that using duct tape on blisters as well as on the major contact surfaces of the feet helps. I have not yet tried any of these methods. One thing I have tried was soaking my feet in tea-water. I read about it online, and immediately D&C came to mind, I'm quoting from memory so excuse the non-uniformity..."Strong drink is not for the belly, but rather the washing of the body". I always imagined a guy pouring vodka on his own head, rubbing it under his arms and smelling them to see if it improved their smell. I haven't tried the vodka shower yet either. After soaking my feet in the tea-water, however, I found, just as purported that the tannic acid does indeed prevent blistering. How funny that revelation from a hundred some odd years ago still applies today.

I do miss you Elder. I was not very happy for the last couple of weeks, but on Tuesday we read my new favorite Book of Mormon verse. It's in Mormon 9, verse 14. "...; he that is happy shall be happy still;..." It was explained that if we are not happy now regardless of living righteously, even in exaltation we still won't be happy. That made perfect sense to me. It makes me realize that there is no reason or use to wait for paradise, or for goals in life, or for the perfect woman to be happy. That joy is a decision and that it must be had now so that the millennium might start in the hearts of those who live righteously and joyously as all mankind will in the reign of Christ. While I am melancholic writing to you, I am happy when I think about how you brought the opportunity for joy into my life, Elder. I am joyous that the scriptures will always speak to me and nourish my soul so that it may in turn sanctify my body. Your calling and this faith has brought the 2 most incredible people I have ever known into my life to teach me more than I have ever learned in less time than I have ever studied. While the world has taken you both away from my physical immediacy, I am grateful for the time we had. I am happy and joyous and grateful in the lessons learned and will never forget any of them.

Take Care Brother,

Mark Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment